• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

motor maul or bigger alternator

coyotekid28

Jun 17, 2013
Ok question 1 how does a motor maul work ? Question 2 can I beef up to a bigger alternator add a extra battery or do I need two alternators to do so. Not looking to volt anything just efficiently run a Davemade m400 . 91 Chevy blazer 110 stock alternator and will stall engine when just idling . Any ideas folks thanks.

Best bet would be to have your alternator up-graded to say 180 ish amps. Then you could get an Optima red or yellow top battery and be done. You can search motor maul on you-tube for the once over on how they work.

Best bet would be to have your alternator up-graded to say 180 ish amps. Then you could get
an Optima red or yellow top battery and be done. You can search motor maul on you-tube for the once over on how they work.

Could I add an extra battery just for the amp and beef up the alternator as well for some reason that just sounds absurd but heck can't hurt to ask. Maybe I will use your idea it seems more sensible.

Ok question 1 how does a motor maul work ? Question 2 can I beef up to a bigger alternator add a extra battery or do I need two alternators to do so. Not looking to volt anything just efficiently run a Davemade m400 . 91 Chevy blazer 110 stock alternator and will stall engine when just idling . Any ideas folks thanks.

i ran an 86 blazer, or whatever year was 1st fuel injected engine, with a local electrical shops build of my stock alternator to a 'self-exciting' 115 amps....give or take. with 4 batteries, i could key my dx1600 all day with not a single issue. with 2 batteries, voltage drop was fairly quick. all at idle. even a single 1250cca battery would NOT stall the engine at idle. another issue somewhere maybe? not really 110 amps? belt slipping/not fully charging? 8 gauge or thinner charge wire? amp wiring install? i ran a davemade 8 pill in a durango with 136 amp alternator, STOCK battery & mag mount, keyed 300 & 1200 pep.... a bit funking til i reworked the battery situation, but never stalled.

Reactions: Big Al 413
If your interested you can remove the ac compressor and build a bracket to install another alternator there then run the output from it to a battery in the back to run the amp. You could even add a 1 farad cap before the amp to help. We did this conversion at my shop for a snow plow and it was fairly easy but you will need a torcch to bend the metal to make the mount.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.