• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motorola MTX838/MTS2000

Skyrider

Apr 9, 2010
Leon, GTO. Mexico
Hi everyone,

Just bought an MTX838 for a few bucks at the flea market. Charged the battery and it turns on but emits a long continuous beep in every mode by 1. Other than that there's not much to it.

I can't seem to find a user manual for it anywhere. From what I can find online, this is an 800mhz radio that can also be used in VHF. And it is very similar to MTS2000 but without flash screens.

I'm pretty new to this kind of rig and would love to get more info on them. How can I program them?

Would also like to know if this can be used on the GMRS band. I can't find much info but some people say they've seen them on VHF frequencies. I assume they could be used on GMRS.

Thanks.

What you have is a single band professional radio - but an old one. You will not be able to mod this 800Mhz radio down to VHF or UHF. Basically the radio is useless being 800. Most likely it is a Privacy Plus Type I trunking radio. It might have conventional frequency capability but there is nothing for you to use it on as the 800 band does not have MURS, GMARS, or FRS type frequencies. It does make a great tool to keep a window sash open though.

In all seriousness, the radio is really useless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.