• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

moxon build

I wish I could put the dipole back up 309, it really worked well, it's directional but on the horizontal it rocked for dx. Get one up high and it would kick butt I beleive. I have one but the way I have to set it up is too close to the neighbors yard so they complain.

I made my dipole from a broken watt meter (so239 connector, some scrap #12awg, and a couple 1/2" flex conduit fittings for the insulators. Took a box from and old plastic tool case out a hole in the bottom, too side open facing down, added the so239, added the wire and insulators and put it up. Made an air choke at about 8ft from the feed point. I talked to Australia with it on a uniden PC122. Farthest contact I have ever made go figure. Just some food for thought. Very stealthy if you use the right stuff!!

309 I recommend you go for it. According to what Homer has told us, if you get the Moxon right I think you might be impressed, beside the effort might be a good experience.

I made mine out of 14 g wire and air choke with bolts to connect the wire to. I just need to make a frame to hold it horizontal. With a frame I can rotate it.
I'm still going to experiment with the moxon but I'll wait for warmer weather to play in.

I recommend either a dipole for ease of building, and the Moxon.
My experience with the Moxon is very good. I have one in the air now.

I have used PVC on several antenna builds, but in every case I had to reinforce it significantly. I abandoned its use on a horizontal moxon as it was too flimsy to hold its own weight. My best one remains the one I crafted from a $5 used walker from the local thrift store. Removing the legs of the walker with the natural corners allowed me to add tubing between the corners of the antenna for the front and back. It is lightweight, sleek, and strong.

Not wanting to be arguing the point, my experence between several 2 element yagis and the Moxon has been conclusively in favor of the Moxon. It is smaller, performs better, and seems to handle the miserable winters and windy destructive spring storms with no problems.

Last edited:
It sucks so bad here right now as all the oak trees are still full of leaves!! Got 2 big ones in the yard, what a mess the squirrels have made this year and they constantly are falling onto the roof. I am really tinkering with the idea of a tv tripod type mount on the very top of the roof. Add 10-15ft and be done! But I have an extra port on my radio for hf so a 2nd antenna would be nice. Decisions, decisions!

Reactions: 918Oklahoma
I just finished a horizontal dipole with 1/2 inch spreaders and 1 inch mast. I bought 1 1/4 inch to slip over the 1 inch. I'm still not happy with the sideways flex in the spreaders but I'm going to set it up and run it till it breaks.

Attachments

• 20141215_205351.jpg
    20141215_205351.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 14

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned