• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MURS ANTENNA TUNER

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
I was wondering if you could tune a 2 meter antenna<beam>, with a MFJ antenna tuner<2 mtr>, to bring the swr down so it would be accomodating swr for murs. Anyone ever do this??

DOCTOR/795

Hi Doc,

It would help, but probably won't do a 100% job. Meaning a 1:1 match. Even if it did, it would only be keeping the radio safe from a bad SWR but your radiated signal would be greatly lessened. MURS in 151 and 154mhz, is many several mhz away from a tuned 2 meter beam, and the as-is SWR up there would probably be well over 3:1. So the ability to radiate all of the radio's power would be significantly cut back. But...if you can get an acceptable match with a tuner, it will work some, and as long as you're not looking to transmit over a goodly distance, it might work.

If you're serious about MURS use, it would be better to get a second antenna and tune it for those frequencies. You'll be resonant then, and won't need a tuner at all.

good luck!

interview.gif

MURS

Sounds like a good idea, I did hook the beam up to the antenna, and it knocked my friends radio to 9 plus he said on MURS at 25 miles from here, so it does work , but at the moment have to shorten the transmissions , having I presume a higher swr, but no idea what it is..

DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.