• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

murs base

countryboy879

Mar 17, 2008
i know we are only allowed 2 watts for portables but i want to set up a base and mobile where i live can't i get a mobile that i can program myself to use it on murs??? i have two portales now just want something for a base and mobile

If your having issues with programing an opened up two meter radio would work well. I run a yaesu FT2800M on MURS in the mobile and a Motorola mobile on the base. Power will not go as low as two watts but I dont worry to much.

i know but since there is no base /mobile type murs radio can i use like maxon radio or motorola radio that can be programmed to murs freq?

The FT-2800M is a great choice. I can be had for as little as $120.
With the mars mod, it'll do murs without any programming software.

Most two meter antennas should cover 151MHz without trouble, but for 154 i think you would need to trim the whip a tad.

If for some reason you also wanted FRS (on UHF), there is the FT-7800R.

Go for it you will be happy with them! There is an antenna company called centerfire that makes antennas for MURS. We have a bunch of guys using the quarter wave ground plane they sell and they work very good.

I use to use a 2 meter radio on murs and a ham guy a few blocks from me wrote a letter to the fcc saying i was bleeding into 2 meters but i dont see how and I dont really think i did bleed into 2 meters even with 50 watts.I think he did it just cause he didnt like me.I use an old radio shack bussiness radio that has 2 channels and only 500 mw but i can talk to my buddy the next town over on it.

I heard that the yaesu FT7800 with the mod can cover murs and the uhf part can cover gmrs frequencies, anyone ever use one of these radios???

DOCTOR/795

You can buy a radio for gmrs refurbished cheap enough around $120 ICOM commercial radio and have it programmed. You can also have it programmed by your self but have to buy the cable for around $19 and the software is sometimes free.
DOCTOR/CDX795

Doctor that UHF Icom is likely not reprogrammable back all the way to murs (vhf)

i use my Icom T-90a HT
as well as 706MKIIG
and IC-7000

all 3 work great ( once moded ofcourse)

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.