• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

my radio is here

time to start loading repeater frequencies into the radio while ya wait ;)

Those are nice little radios,I think you will like it when you key the mic

I made a j pole for my home use in just a couple of hours and it works great!!

Hope to catch ya on the bands soon !!

for now i jsut made a coathanger antenna with 4 ground radiels and put it on top of my 20' pole. and wow i was hereing radios up to about 2 hour drive away. but i want to get a base antenna up soon. i dont have a swr meter yet.

i was very imprest with the receave. and love the radio

lastnight i was loading repeters into the radio. i hered about 25 differant ones

Congrats. J-poles are super easy to make. I want to try out a variant of a J-pole, the Slim Jim.

KD8KSX

You'll find a bunch of 'How to' articles in the internet about 'J'-poles, pick one that looks easy to you and give it a shot. I know that after buying a $100+ commercially made antenna, a 'J'-pole made by a neighbor (and given to me after he bought a hi-$$ antenna too) worked just as well. Ain't that a hoot? And on '440 as well!
Get that meter (or an MFJ 259B), you won't regret it.
Or, try all the antenna designs you can find! That's fun too.
- 'Doc

And naturally... If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat! :)

J-pole antennas it looks like the coax would just short out. both the center and the sheild of the coax one on small arm other on long arm. with both arms conetted.:confused:

DC short yes, RF short nope. I made one out of copper pipe and it works awesome!!!!!

Hey Blue Jay, your statement is true, but can't we make a j-pole work either way, with one continuous element being typical, as well as two elements that are insulated from each other, just like the dipole, and still direct feed both?

We're just lucky we can construct it continuous and make it real sturdy. But, how/why is that possible---both the j-pole and the dipole see RF at the feed point?

What is really going on?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.