• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Triplett 630-PL Type 4 Multimeter arrived today!

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
What a thing of beauty! I found an old set of banana jack test leads and quickly put her to the test. Works like a dream!!! She is huge. I would say if you took two standard residential red house bricks and put them side by side it would be the right widths but only about 1/2 as thick as this old girl! She is black and read Bakelite. The meter has no scratches no yellowing etc.....Other then the previous owner's Name and Social Security number being electrically engraved on the side and back she is 100% like new! If this guy ever used it then he must have left her in the case because their are no scratchs or signs of use any place on this meter. Even around the holes where you insert the test leads their are no scratches at all no insertion marks etc....

The leather case is velvet lined in red. The case alone from Triplet is $65 so getting the meter and the case for $42=$15 to ship it was a steal. It shipped as 8lbs. but at least 2 pounds of that was packing material so I am thinking she weights about 5lbs.

So once I get around to making up some test leads I will test my transformer. So I know what I have. I need to order some alligator clips I do not own any and really would like something better then the crip on style they sell at my local Rat Shack!

I was so excited when the mail lady came today!!!

The REal Thripplet meter is the 310 model;??????I got out of college with my two year degree in Electrical / Electronic Control System technicain and whenver i was issued my first Thripplet 310 meter I thought i could solve any and every problem in the Refinery.....15 years later in Saudi arabia working in the largest refinerys that issued us the latest Fluke meters .....guess what i still had my model 310 meter and never changed retired at 60 and still had it and then it was lost in shipment back to the states

One of the best features of the Triplett 630 - series is the "OFF" position on the range switch. Why?

With the switch in the "OFF" position, a short piece of heavy wire is switched directly across the meter coil, providing a strong damping effect when the meter is moved around. This keeps the movement from banging around so much when you're carrying the meter out to a work project.

Most meters don't have this feature. For those that don't, I'd recommend making a habit of putting the switch in the highest DC Amperes position. This will switch the heaviest shunt across the coil - almost as good. Almost.

Think of an unloaded DC generator - that's exactly what a typical d'Arsonval meter movement is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.