• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nagoya antenna ?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
samurai.gif
Ah yes, it seems we have a few hams who like the Chinese made HT's and I am sure they also enjoy the China made antennas! IF you have any personal hands on experience with the "Nagoya" line of HT antennas...Please do post up your model and likes or dislikes!
chinese%20smile.gif

I have a couple of Nagoya 771's......A decent antenna and very nearly as good as my Diamond RH 901S but the Nagoyas are nowhere near the price!

They're well made, nicely finished and offer a lot of performance for the money in comparison with standard H/t antennas.

One issue to be aware of though.....On some Chinese models, the centre pin of the SMA connector is longer than the stock model and can damage the connection inside the radio.

Regards, Neil.

I've used a few Nagoya antennas for VHF and UHF. I don't recall the exact models, but one was a telescoping model and it worked great. Slightly better gain over stock. I also had a high gain VHF/UHF model, it worked way better than the stock model.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

Nagoyas are the only antennas I use on my HTs these days. I use the 775S on my pair of FT-60Rs, on my IC-T21A and on my TH-D7A. I also use a 771 on a remote mike for the FT-60 (antenna mounts on the top of the mike, getting up and over your shoulder when clipped to a vest) and find that my range is easily doubled if not tripled from the stock antennas. The last time I ordered spares I got a half dozen, because fellow hams keep asking for "that great antenna you use on your HTs"

With either of my FT-60 HTs and a 775S installed (tip: use a couple of rubber O rings under the antenna to keep it from loosening and to fill the gap left in the antenna recess on the case) I regularly make 15-30 mile contacts here in central Virginia

That amounts to a 1/4 wave on 2 meters which should definitely work better than a typical rubberduck! Add a 'rat tail' to it and it should be even better.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
That amounts to a 1/4 wave on 2 meters which should definitely work better than a typical rubberduck! Add a 'rat tail' to it and it should be even better.
- 'Doc
I've experimented with using a counterpoise wire on my HTs and find that while they do work well, and improve the receive a good deal in marginal conditions, they're annoying and tend to get caught on things, so I don't generally use them. For the most part, I use my HTs to reach local repeaters, or to cross band through my truck, so range isn't a really big issue for me.

Oh! But those 'rat tails' can be used for decoration too. Different colors, sizes, really fuzzy, that sort of thing. Or make it really long so that it drags behind you! Really make people wonder if you've got some sort of 'magical' antenna. I've also found that if I touch the bare end of one of those 'rat tails' when transmitting I get a small shock. Now that can really come in handy with certain people! ;)
- 'Doc

Oh! But those 'rat tails' can be used for decoration too. Different colors, sizes, really fuzzy, that sort of thing. Or make it really long so that it drags behind you! Really make people wonder if you've got some sort of 'magical' antenna. I've also found that if I touch the bare end of one of those 'rat tails' when transmitting I get a small shock. Now that can really come in handy with certain people! ;)
- 'Doc
I see my radios as tools, and I don't generally decorate tools (rumors of a party dress and earrings for my favorite 24oz framing hammer, with that perfectly shaped handle that fits my grip oh so nicely, are simply not true - not true I say - notnotnotNOT! ;)) but I wonder if you may have been enjoying those shocks a little too much?

:D

Last edited:
... who, me? (ouch) Naw, I don't really (ouch) like getting (ouch) shocked. But I think (ouch) other people really get a charge (ouch) from it...

... who, me? (ouch) Naw, I don't really (ouch) like getting (ouch) shocked. But I think (ouch) other people really get a charge (ouch) from it...

Gee who doesn't like pissing on a running lawn mower :eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.