• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Name that Tower

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Anyone know what make this tower is ??

I need to get a lower section for it.

It is being given to me, the bottom section is cemented into the ground so i will need to cut it off. It has one full 10' center section and a Top section with the rotator mount.

tower-1.jpg

Thanks

Craig

Thanks guys, I havent even looked at towers until this one was offered to me.

Here are a couple of other pictures, its in decent shape. I'll have to cut the bottom section off as I am not cracking concrete, I'll probably just find one more section somewhere and get me up a bit over 30 feet. I'll brace it against the house.

tower-2.jpg

tower-3.jpg

Looks like rohn 20. if you count the horizontal braces on a 10ft section I think the rohn 25 has eight horizontal braces and 20 has seven. the 25 is the heavier steel than the 20 so that is what you want. there is lots of used 25 around here for the taking. got 2 50 ft towers that can be had for free if I take um down. I hope you have lots in your area too. If I was closer I'd say we could get one for you to pic up.

AP

I believe it is a Rohn 20, should be fine for what I plan to do with it, it will be braced to the house and concreted in the ground at the base. I plan to put my Gulf Alpha Dual Band Sat beam on it with a G-5500 AZ/EL Rotator. Its only a 6' beam so the loading shouldnt be too bad. I will have to put a thrust bearing in it and clean up the top section a bit.

I'll have to keep my eye out for any stuff around the area, I really havent seen any.

Craig

Thats a Rohn 20 I have 40 or 50 feet of that put away Ill never use it because I use Universal and have 40 -50 of that put away aswell someone supposed to buy this Rohn 20 but we shall see.

I believe it is a Rohn 20, should be fine for what I plan to do with it, it will be braced to the house and concreted in the ground at the base. I plan to put my Gulf Alpha Dual Band Sat beam on it with a G-5500 AZ/EL Rotator. Its only a 6' beam so the loading shouldnt be too bad. I will have to put a thrust bearing in it and clean up the top section a bit.

I'll have to keep my eye out for any stuff around the area, I really havent seen any.

Craig

You will definitely have to post pics of that setup

I will have to put a thrust bearing in it and clean up the top section a bit.

Craig

Where will you put a thrust bearing? I don't see a rotator plate much less a top plate to install a thrust bearing. I admit to having never used a tower like that but all I have ever used have a plate mounted to mount the rotator too and another at the top to mount a thrust bearing on. Moot point anyway if you install an az/el rotator. It needs to be above a thrust bearing in order for the elevation to operate and there is no need or sense installing one below it.

Rohn 20 .

it will interchange with rohn 25 as for as stacking.

use the rohn 25 on the bottom end.

the difference between 20 and 25 is the rung spacing and diameter of the rungs.

20 has a longer spacing whereas 25 has a shorter spacing, so use the shorter spaced heavier dia. 25 on you bottom end , always. the tower legs are the same diametr and spacing!!

You can buy and replace the bushing on the top section of rohn tower. they make different size peen in bushings in 1.5. 1.75 inch. I just got one for my top section because it was to large for my tv ant mast so I replaced it with a smaller one.

AP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.