• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nashville TN, Gatlinburg TN

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
Well I was just on 40 meter here in Nashville TN.

I was sitting next to the pool with a MFJ portable antenna and my Yaesu FT-817ND. I made a 25 foot counterpoise and just set it on the ground.

I made several contacts including some friends up near Chicago.

Here is the antenna
MFJ-1899T

The radio was running off the internal battery and was showing 10.6 volts on the radio display.

I was putting out 4 watts 8) :D

I will be setting up my ICOM IC-7000 and Tarheel antenna on a tripod tommorow when I get to Gatlinburg and will let everyone know what frequency I am on and we can try to make some contacts.

Happy_Hamer said:
Well here in Gatlinburg I get alot of noise from all the hotels around here :(

I'd say your right about a lot of the noise from the hotels and cabins with their mood lighting (dimmer switches), flourescent lighting, etc. There is also many old electrical runs that haven't been updated and repaired. I have a hard time getting away from noise and I think some of it is because of our geography. With the Cumberland Plateau on one side and the Great Smokey Mountains on the other I bet that signals anywhere in the Great Valley bounce around and create noise. I don't know this for sure, because I have nothing to compare it to, but it makes sence in my head.

Well I went to Ten Tec and I bought a few things but the storm that came through town they disconnected the antenna so I couldnt talk, just as I was leaving they were hooking the ham shack back up, I told the guy I would be back another time.

Nice shack though!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.