• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Navaho TRC-431 low power measurments

Lowlytech

Nov 25, 2018
I have a TRC-431 when hooked to my MFJ 874 meter that shows about 0.5 watts of output. First I recapped every Electrolytic and replaced the 3 or so tantalum caps without a change. Thinking that something was wrong with the finals, I replaced the NEC C1909 and still had the low output. I then replaced the NEC C1957 and still low output on the MFJ874. I do notice that the on the air light never comes on when hooked to the output meter, but if I hook an antenna directly to the unit the on the air does light.

Wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the TRC-431 like this and maybe it just doesn't like the 874 meter. Thinking now that maybe nothing was wrong with the unit. I don't seem to have any CB activity in my area and can't really do just standard transmit tests to see if the unit really does work at the full 4 watts. I have another CB base station (TRC-434) that does measure a hair over 4 watts when hooked to the same 874 meter, so I know the meter does work to some degree.

Thanks..

this radio is in the Sams cb237 book if any one has it and would share the alignment portion with you.
if you would google the radio it brings up some info to adjust the output as far as power.out

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I connected a dummy load to the antenna output of the meter, and I ended up hooking up my firestik antenna as well. Either device hooked to the antenna out of the wattmeter shows no illumination for "on the air".

Forgive my ignorance, I don't know what the predriver would be, or peak the TX coils, other than if your talking about a whistle into the mic which I did. Modulation does pulse, just no "on the air" indication when plugged through the watt meter.

Thanks Sonoma for the SAMS leads on alignment, I will check that ebay link out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.