• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Neat md or ruined classic?

Strange. So they took a Tram, removed everything, stick the board of a different radio inside, and run that into a 3 pill linear also inside? I guess at this point can you really even call it a Tram? I would stay clear.

if the radio was just a shell or an olds parts radio that was taped out, I would say it looks kind of bad ass.

This isn't the first time this seller has done something like this. A previous effort didn't have any digital readout and had a lot of unused knobs. Basically he took a 148 board and stuck it in the Tram case.

I can only hope that he didn't destroy a working -or repairable- Tram to make this. It's a nice effort but I don't think I'd add it to my collection.

It would be neat if it was usable on SSB, but alas, the amp is class C. Kind of a waste of a good SSB board, IMO. Should have went with a linear that was biased AB.

I did up an old Cobra 139, I had a Cobra 2000 GTL that someone had literally dropped on its face and destroyed the chassis, but had a good board. I pulled out the non-functional 23 channel board on a cosmetically near perfect Cobra 139, and swapped boards. I even found an original 40 channel dial to put on it. At first look, you'd think it was just an old school Cobra 139, until you looked at the channel selector and saw it was 1-40. I eventually sold it on Ebay and got a nice lump of money out of it ($150.00). Wish I still had the pics of it yet.

~Cheers~

Ebay sure is goofy about what it allows and what it doesn't. This rig is clearly illegal for 11 meter CB use. But they yank all kinds of other stuff! I do think it looks kind of cool, but at $850 dollars, and a seller named Bite Me, I think I'd spend my hard earned dollars elsewhere.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
That thing is a trashed classic to say the least....if it were 100% orginal it might be worth close to that to the right person

As far as myself goes that thing is any old hacked up radio in a classic case

What a waste of a good case

I like the look of this "Frankenradio". Although I agree with ExitThirteen on the class c amp, turns it into something much less than what it could have been. I have a couple of 201A's on the shelf waiting for some attention some day.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it looks like a Cobra 148 board with stock electrolytic capacitors. After all that work, stock caps?? Back panel shows some "less than ideal" craftsmanship.

Last edited:
The front panel looks good the way it is done, but it is not a tram anymore, so a collector will pass it by..
And the other guys are right, at least bias it, and even worse it is a 1 driving 2.
It is a nice looking rig built from spare parts out of the spare parts bin.
Nothing worth $800 IMHO.

Jeff

Last edited:
I like the look of this "Frankenradio". Although I agree with ExitThirteen on the class c amp, turns it into something much less than what it could have been. I have a couple of 201A's on the shelf waiting for some attention some day.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it looks like a Cobra 148 board with stock electrolytic capacitors. After all that work, stock caps?? Back panel shows some "less than ideal" craftsmanship.

X2 on the caps why all that work and stock caps?

Some day I would like to do the same thing but ill put in a little more attachion to detail

I'm in the process of deciding to gut a 959 or 148 to transplant in a trashed Hi-Gain VIII. I did salvage all the internals and original wiring from the Hy-Gain. Just thought it would be a neat project. Certainly not looking to sell for a inflated price...just something to do that was different.

I agree with Klondike tho...all that work and selling without updating old caps...kind of cutting corners to finish it off...dont make sense.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.