• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need FireFox Hep

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
About a week ago Firefox started dumping cookies every time it closed. Logs me out of all forums ect....

Never did it before

Did not change any settings

Have toggled the setting that does tell it to "clear private date when FF closes"....no help

Any help??

what anti-virus programs do you have? and have you done any major updates to the computer software in the past few weeks? ...

i have had that happen from time to time .. but not just with firefox .. but IE and chrome as well ..

normally a fresh install clears it up if it isn't another program that is actually removing them ...

but on occasion it is the website it's self not configuring the cookies correctly.

try this.

Close Firefox, find cookies.sqlite and delete it (in my case, in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[some obscure name]\cookies.sqlite under Windows Vista x64, SP2).

You've done the 'Tools', 'Options', Then through all the categories ('Privacy' especially)? That's all that I can think of with 'FF". And by any chance, do you use something like "Window Washer" that gets rid of all the temporary files, trash, 'extra' files and that sort of stuff? If so, take a look at it's options, cuz I've had one do that with cookies and passwords. (Am I really supposed to remember all them passwords and stuff?)
Good luck, it's a pain...
- 'Doc

At the top of the browser- Go into "tools", "options: and then "privacy" and click on settings. See what is checked . Uncheck any you do not want checked. Sometimes if FF has updated it will go to default settings that you have to change.

At the top of the browser- Go into "tools", "options: and then "privacy" and click on settings. See what is checked . Uncheck any you do not want checked. Sometimes if FF has updated it will go to default settings that you have to change.

Covered in the opening post, thanks

Found this on Firefox site-

Losing login-

A likely cause is the file that stores cookies may be corrupt. To test this close Firefox, go to your profile folder and rename cookies.sqlite to cookies.tmp
Restart Firefox, log into those sites and then see if it remembers the logins.

Losing cookies on close-

It is possible that the file cookies.sqlite that stores the cookies is corrupted.
You can try to rename (or delete) cookies.sqlite (cookies.sqlite.old) and delete cookies.txt (if it exists) in the Profile Folder in case cookies.sqlite got corrupted.

Hey I really appreciate you checking into all of that SonWatcher.

Unfortunately my system won't allow me to do any of the above. Just get "can't do" messages when I either try to rename or delete the above items.:bdh:

WW you can probably do it by doing this . Go to "run" in Startup. In the command line type-

command ren cookies.sqlite cookies.tmp

Then look in your FF profile folder and see if it changed the name. If so restart FF and see if it starts working correctly.

That's weird...Mine was doing the same thing. Reinstalled 3.5 and the problem went away!

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. Nothing worked so I just dumped it like QuikSilver did and re-installed the whole thing. Only took a few minutes. Back to normal now.*

All I got for Christmas was some corrupted FireFox files:eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.