• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help with a project.

n0zna

Digital master
Nov 3, 2008
Missouri south of St Louis
I have a old State Patrol RCA transiver...it is for 42 mhz.And has the red and black wires in back,pos and neg...But dont know about the white wire on the control head.nothing on internet about it...The modile # is ct1003 or HBA19BA11 thankyou de n0zna/John 73s email is n0zna@juno.com

John/Your Project

John: I am just taking a shot here....but on some OLD military gear the white wire on the control head can be the switch leg(Positive/+DC) that returns the voltage back to the main unit from the control head.
You might try hooking up the red/black....turn on the on/off switch and see if this wire goes positive(+dc)...
GL 73
All the Best
BJ

I have no firsthand knowledge of that radio, but it seems consistent with an ignition sense lead so that when the vehicle ignition key is turned to the "on" position A+ is put on that wire so the radio turns on. OTOH, police radios, which I have no experience with firsthand (just looking at the options in the manuals), have various connections to give an officer communications even in the most unexpected of situations.

Might be worth tracing it out.

I have no firsthand knowledge of that radio, but it seems consistent with an ignition sense lead so that when the vehicle ignition key is turned to the "on" position A+ is put on that wire so the radio turns on. OTOH, police radios, which I have no experience with firsthand (just looking at the options in the manuals), have various connections to give an officer communications even in the most unexpected of situations.

Might be worth tracing it out.

I wouldn't swear to it, but that is what I was thinking: either a direct ignition switch lead to prevent leaving the filaments on (if tube type) when the vehicle was parked, OR a lead that went to a separate relay box. The old Motorolas has such a wire, if I recall. It's been a LOOOOONG time since I installed one of those old boat anchors!!! ;)

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.