• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with this crazy beam

lonestarbandit

Supporting Member - WDX 429
Dec 30, 2006
So this is what happens and I can't seem to find it. I'm on the ground but happens in the air as well. I've tested the coax, I've swapped antenna lines on the switch makes no difference. I start out ok (keep in mind it's on the ground so swr is relative and just for example) starts at 2 slooowwlllllly creeps up on a slow march then suddenly pegs off the scale. I've resoldered the connector....sort of at a loss w/ beam sitting on ground atm please help. It must not be the box as on the max2000 this doesn't happen. Also doesn't seem to happen with box off.
Really getting to my wits end with this beam. I've had it up and down about 10x now and no closer to grasping what's going on.

Last edited:

Something is not able to handle the power you are putting into it and is likely getting hot (creating resistance and an increasing SWR). Not familiar with that beam but if there is any kind of balun or matching network that is the most likely culprit. Bad connections or water damage to the coax can result in these kinds of symptoms too...... Are you using the same coax that works with the max2000 ?
Good luck; hope you find the problem...antennas can be infuriating sometimes, but rewarding when you finally figure a problem out and start making contacts.

Something is not able to handle the power you are putting into it and is likely getting hot (creating resistance and an increasing SWR). Not familiar with that beam but if there is any kind of balun or matching network that is the most likely culprit. Bad connections or water damage to the coax can result in these kinds of symptoms too...... Are you using the same coax that works with the max2000 ?
Good luck; hope you find the problem...antennas can be infuriating sometimes, but rewarding when you finally figure a problem out and start making contacts.
It is a brand new maco VQUAD with its corrosponding new gama match. I have a good Daiwa switch in line and two coax lines.
I am down to cutting the ends off the beams coax line and redoing the PL259s in hopes that by luck of the draw thats where the problem lies. The coax rings out fine, but I agree something with the addition of power is going haywire. I can't borrow the max2000 coax line for test as it runs to the other side of house from the beam and both lines run through a brick walk of the house and then up about 20 feet or so to the feedpoint. Praying it isnt a entire coax run because THAT was a pain I'd not like to re-live.
I have also discovered now I had run out of good PL259 and only have ebay cheapo emergency ones on hand, marvelous. Why do we always discover this at inconvenient times....

Attachments

• 20231022_162350.jpg
    20231022_162350.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
If the antenna is new, assembled correctly, and is being operated at below its maximum allowable power level, then it should be good to go.
If it was me, I would temporarily run a known good piece of coax from the radio to the antenna and see if that works. If it does you know you have a problem with the old coax, if it still doesn't work the problem is likely with the antenna. Are you certain the gamma match is correctly assembled ?
Not sure if you have access to an antenna analyzer, but that hooked direct to the antenna output would tell you right away if the antenna has a problem.

If the antenna is new, assembled correctly, and is being operated at below its maximum allowable power level, then it should be good to go.
If it was me, I would temporarily run a known good piece of coax from the radio to the antenna and see if that works. If it does you know you have a problem with the old coax, if it still doesn't work the problem is likely with the antenna. Are you certain the gamma match is correctly assembled ?
Not sure if you have access to an antenna analyzer, but that hooked direct to the antenna output would tell you right away if the antenna has a problem.
Sadly I do not have a antenna analyzer.
Also the Gama match came pre assembled from Maco. Visually it appears to match assembly instructions as do the rest of the antenna as assembled by my not so fair hand.
I guess I'll leave the beam in the yard till I can get a long enough piece of test coax as the new PL259s did nothing so assumption is now antenna is bad (unlikely) or worst case scenario the coax run through the wall is. So naturally it will be the worst case scenario.

It is a brand new maco VQUAD with its corrosponding new gama match. I have a good Daiwa switch in line and two coax lines.
I am down to cutting the ends off the beams coax line and redoing the PL259s in hopes that by luck of the draw thats where the problem lies. The coax rings out fine, but I agree something with the addition of power is going haywire. I can't borrow the max2000 coax line for test as it runs to the other side of house from the beam and both lines run through a brick walk of the house and then up about 20 feet or so to the feedpoint. Praying it isnt a entire coax run because THAT was a pain I'd not like to re-live.
I have also discovered now I had run out of good PL259 and only have ebay cheapo emergency ones on hand, marvelous. Why do we always discover this at inconvenient times....
Can you eliminate that switch ?

Try a connector between the 2 coax connections and eliminate the switch just to see what happens.

Try a connector between the 2 coax connections and eliminate the switch just to see what happens.
I tried. Nothing. Same result. Even put beam back up to see if ground proximity was the problem. Still have an appalling match. I've replaced the pl259s 2x each end. Guess we are down to antenna itself and or gamma match or the coax is shot.
What BC said. Antennas can be infuriating. Guess I need 100 feet of coax next.

Last edited:
I tried. Nothing. Same result. Even put beam back up to see if ground proximity was the problem. Still have an appalling match. I've replaced the pl259s 2x each end. Guess we are down to antenna itself and or gamma match or the coax is shot.
What BC said. Antennas can be infuriating.
The thing that puzzles me is the switch looks like it is switched to the unused coax position. Try turning it to the right hand position. Not unless it is a illusion. I know connectors aren't the best answer.

The thing that puzzles me is the switch looks like it is switched to the unused coax position. Try turning it to the right hand position. Not unless it is a illusion. I know connectors aren't the best answer.
Oh, my fault for that. They are both used. I had the beam coax removed as I was redoing the PL259. I just wanted to show it was a quality switch and not some low wattage junker and thus highly suspect.

Oh, my fault for that. They are both used. I had the beam coax removed as I was redoing the PL259. I just wanted to show it was a quality switch and not some low wattage junker and thus highly suspect.
OK LOL Honest mistake, at least my vision isn't failing. LOL

OK LOL Honest mistake, at least my vision isn't failing. LOL
No, your vision isnt failing but MINE is and soldering when you can't see as well as you once did its a PITA and the occasional finger. Another 100 blown for coax more decent PL259 on the way. Sigh. BC says just test with another jumper. Err I don't keep 100 extra feet lying about lol. Antenna issues are the devil.

Last edited:
No, your vision isnt failing but MINE is and soldering when you can't see as well as you once did its a PITA and the occasional finger. Another 100 blown for coax more decent PL259 on the way. Sigh. BC says just test with another jumper. Err I don't keep 100 extra feet lying about lol. Antenna issues are the devil.
Yes you are correct antenna problem can make a man lose a lot of religion. Been there and done that on both base & mobile antennas. The trouble with base antennas they are too high up to correct easy. Good luck may the antenna Gods be with you

• Love
Reactions: lonestarbandit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.