• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need helpful suggestion for the HAM test

rachet_jaw

Oct 8, 2005
mooresville, NC
Whatever can be recommended would be greatly appreciated!!
Is the morse code really that hard?
What class should I go for?
I never like to be limited to what I can do.
I love the radio, but here lately, even I cant stand some of my fellow CBers, I know that isnt the christian way of feeling, but man my toleration is wearing thin for some of my fellow CBers.
:bash

I mean you go to a different channel to get away the typical 27.185 BS and bam.... they follow you, find you.. whatever.. and try to lock down the freq with a butchered up 29.
I mean used to we could go to 27.195 and have decent cnversation.
Then we started going some of the freebands.
The only other thing I can think to do is go 10M or maybe even 6M.

I would rather deal with some the over ego'd hams then whats left on 27.185 nowadays.

you can take the Technician Class test without morse code or you can take it with code which will give you a little more band to work with such as 13cm,70cm,2m,6m and a couple more. Than you can go for the general class which will give you 160m-10m. And then when your really good; you can go for extra class. What ever you decide. Good luck

Thanks for reply, definitely looks like a lot choices, just depends on how far I am willing to go .. Just the way I like it!

What should I study? any books?
Where / how do you take the test?

Test

RJ,

The licenses are structured so that each element or level builds on the other one. It is designed to enter the 'hot bath' gradually--getting your feet wet as it were. Thus, most people will become most familiar with 2 Meters and the repeaters. Then hopefully, you will branch out into Simplex and VHF antennas and Single Sideband. At this level, the logic is, as a newbie, you aren't likely to cause grief to operators thousands of miles away, but can get accustomed to operating styles, rules, and customs on the local level. Then the next thing is to take the Morse test and begin to learn about really long distance, more radio theory and so on. Morse is not all that hard, and if you don't make it a stumbling block, it won't be.
To each his own, but I used the Gordon West tapes and followed his instructions. Study CW about 30 minutes each night--no more. Again it, too, builds on each lesson until you begin to put words, phrases and sentences together. Do NOT make the mistake of buying a code key and trying to send; it WILL mess you UP!! Learn to HEAR and associate the letters with the sounds and it will become automatic--like typing on your computer. ANY dope can tap out code characters, but hearing is the key! Even Gordon will tell you not to try to get every letter. As you study, you will begin to anticipate accurately what is going to be sent by the gist of the sentence and can finish it ahead of the sender! Like "the rig here is an I---". Well if the rig starts with an "I", then it is likely an Icom, so you can go ahead and put it down. And soon you will be copying like a pro! It may even become FUN and instead of a chore, you find yourself staying up past your bedtime for that ONE last QSO!

Good luck and I hope you embark on your Amateur Radio journey!

CWM

If You want I can send you some software for technician that has practice tests in it or you can go through all the questions in the pool.

Hey North Star. Can you make me a copy of that CD and mail it to me. I will send you money for postage and blank CD. Thanks, Scott

Study Guides

Hi, we are in the same boat so to speak, I am also looking at getting my license. I went with suggestions and ordered the study guide from www.w5yi.com , they say this is a good one. Aslo, this one is a free download... www.w8bbs.com , he says if you use his, you will pass with ease.

Good Luck :D

The best thing you can do is go to www.qrz.com and take the practice tests. Keep taking them untill you feel comfortable and then go take the test. Its no sweat. Im a tech waiting on the code to be dropped then I will take the general again. I already passed it once but my year expired........

www.eham.com also has the practice tests. I didn't find code that tough to learn, but others do. I used NuMorse Pro software to learn it, which worked well for me. The books mentioned should be enough to help you out. Also the "Now You're Talking" book is good. The tech test is really pretty easy if you've been around radio for a while....

I have the Gordon West Tech. study guide which is excellent. I will loan it to any CDX member. I will pay for the original shipping book rate to you. All I ask is take care of it, sign your name inside the cover and pass it on to the next guy( you pay for the shipping either back to me or to the other guy. Let's see how many names I can get and how many new HAMs we can produce. Good Luck to All

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned