• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need schematic and service info for Blackcat JB2000

DTB Radio

Sep 14, 2005
Carlisle, PA. USA
www.dtbradio.com
I didn't have time to search through all old threads to see if this was covered or not. If anyone has at the very least a full schematic, as well as some kind of service info along with it, please post here or email me at the addy shown below.

black cat

cb tricks has a schematic for it. You can download it there.Used to run one of those back in the eighty's. Earsplitting audio. :D

What is the amplifer doing that it should not be doing or, what ISN'T the amplifier doing that it should be doing?

DTB Radio said:
The amp isnt having all of the parts inside of it that it should have.

I eat Wawasee Blackcat JB-2000's for breakfast; I asked the standard trouble-shooting question to narrow down where the problem is in the amplifier.

I never have had a customer come in with the amplifier complaint, "It doesn't have all the parts in it that it should......".

Typically with the JB-2000, the amplifier comes in becasue it is arcing, blowing fuses or, burning (doing things it shouldn't). Some times, they bring them in saying that they don't have any hi-volts, that the relay doesn't activate or, that it does not put out any watts (not doing things that it should).

There are a couple of different versions of the JB-2000, one is a two stage model with a peanut-tube driver going into the 3-500Z's; that particular model also has a 6BQ5 keyer. Whenever we came across those models, we bypassed the 6CA7 driver tube and changed the hi-voltage tube keying circuit to a low voltage transistor keyer circuit; that was common practice in the 80's and might explain why there maybe "parts missing".

So, the JB-2000 that you are looking at is a straight forward 2-tube 500Z amplifier; if you are having a problem with it, figure out what is or is not happening.

karo said:
I wish I had your metabolism paws.
(I eat Wawasee Blackcat JB-2000's for breakfast; I asked the standard trouble-shooting question to narrow down where the problem is in the amplifier.)

And I don't believe this statement applies to DTB since he's not a customer of yours today. lol
(I never have had a customer come in with the amplifier complaint, "It doesn't have all the parts in it that it should......". )

Sounds as if it has parts missing so that must be what's wrong to start with, like maybe someone robbed some of it's inards.

Hey Mack,

The Blackcat amps are not nearly as bad as the Habanero Peppers.......

I was just trying to offer some help from one "Tek" to another, you know what I mean? Mack, by now, you don't need no road map to navigate your way around in a TS-500, it's the same here; I have a mental picture of that amp and it's circuitry tattooed (burned/shocked) in to my brain.

When, it comes down to repairing a 2 tube 500z box, the only things that a competent repairman needs is a logical trouble-shooting approach, a VOM and, the basic knowledge of how the thing works.

I am going to be brutally candid, if you do not know what's going on inside that box and you need the schematic to make you feel confortable nosing around in there then, you probably SHOULD NOT be taking your life in your hands by going into that equipment.

DTB Radio said:
The amp isnt having all of the parts inside of it that it should have.

....And, after testing the amplifier, you discovered that the missing parts are causing the amplifier to NOT do exactly what and why?

Maybe the missing parts are causing the amplifier to DO something that it SHOULDN'T; what parts are missing and what are they (the missing parts) making the amplifier do and why?

Maybe post a pic ot two.

The amp has not been hooked up to test, because it has missing parts. I haven't had time to really look it over to see what exactly is missing, but I think the relay circuit has been gutted, and a bit of the HV supply may be gone.

DTB Radio said:
The amp has not been hooked up to test, because it has missing parts. I haven't had time to really look it over to see what exactly is missing, but I think the relay circuit has been gutted, and a bit of the HV supply may be gone.

Step 1. After making certain that the power switch is in the "OFF" position, plug it in and step back 6 feet.

Step 2. Using a Wooden Broomhandle from 6 feet away, poke the power switch to the on position.

Step 3. PM me with the results of the first 2 troubleshooting steps and we will make a plan to go from there.

ko0m (kb8ann)

Yep, it's missing some of the stock parts!

D99.jpg

Cameras are so unkind........

D95.jpg

There was no room for this after the modification to 3 tubes and, it isn't needed any more; maybe somebody might see it on eBay and bid on it!

CP79.jpg

karo said:
321 watergate city said:
He should use some of that spare time he has posting up here and work on the amp..

WERD

DTB Radio said:
I need to locate a transformer for this unit. It is a 3-tube amp made by PAL Electronics in 1974. The number on the transformer looks like PT1589, or maybe PTI589. If anyone knows of a source, please email me at the address shown in my signature. Thanks!

Looks like he has higher priority work! ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.