• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need shortwave Info!!!

roof_top_eagle

Missionary dude
Jul 12, 2008
Niagara Falls
Hi Gang, I'm new here and desperately trying to get some basic info on shortwave radios.

Here is what I am up against.

My Mentor and I are building a church in the Philippines and we really really really need a good shortwave radio for on our little island of Bohol.

We need something pretty powerful. I've read about ham radios in the past and I know they need a power source for the antenna, is this needed in shortwave? Do we need like an amp or something to get good reception from far off stations?

We are hoping to be able to reach Australia with it God willing and we really need to know what gear we need to get good long range reception. I know we'll need a receiver, we are thinking of a table or desktop model.

Anyone have any advice on what we should buy and what to look for?

We need the best quality available and I think a digital readout would be best from my research so far so we can easily find the same station again in the future. The main thing we want to be able to reach is a BBC station to get world news and hear if any typhoons or storms are heading our way.
I'm not sure if there is a weather band on the Philippines that is something I still have to find out but we really need to be able to keep up with the world news.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

God bless

There are several things that you should be aware of before buying anything for use in the Philippines. The first is that the power system uses 220 volts instead of the typical 120 volts in the USA. That can pose a problem with any electrical equipment, not just radios.
I'm a bit confused about if you are just wanting something to listen with, or to communicate with. Big difference. If it's listen only, then almost any good receiver should work. If you plan to use a radio for comunications, your first stop should be the Philippine government to ask about licensing requirements.
You might also seek information from the various church mission groups who operate, or have operated, in the Philippines. I have no clue about how to go about that, you are on your own there!
The Philippines, including Bohol, is not exactly lacking in internet resources, as in accessing it.
As I think you are finding out, your project isn't the simplest thing to do in a lot of areas.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

To echo earlier replies:

Do you just want to LISTEN to the BBC, or do you need to be able to actually speak, over this radio, to someone in Australia?

For listening, it's quite easy. For transmitting, it's going to be a BIT more difficult. Not impossible, just harder.

In that case, a good receiver and a good antenna are your best bets. I'm not going to try to recommend a good receiver, just don't know enough about the present market to have any idea of what they are like. I would recommend a receiver that has a connection for an external antenna! The built-in antennas are usually okay for very general use, but for hearing stations at longer distances, and antenna as high and as long as possible tends to be better.
All antennas have different characteristics that can make them 'better' than others in particular circumstances. Not knowing your prospective circumstances, recommending any particular antenna is a very 'iffy' thing. Very generally, bigger, longer, higher means 'better', sort of. And since there are always 'exceptions' to any generalization, you have to sort of try it and see. Before buying any expensive antenna, I would try the most common, cheapest first (as in make your own), sort of. A simple wire thrown over the building might do just fine. Never having been in the Philippines I haven't the slightest idea what radio conditions are like there. I'd bet that if you were to ask someone there, you'd get all kinds of recommendations.
- 'Doc

Look at the Eton E1 or E1XM or the Icom R75, IC R8500 or IC R9500. All of these are top of the line and will give you many years of use. Also a long wire antenna will be a must with any reciever and don't forget a power supply. I know you said you will be on a island so , I would imagine you will be using a generator or some sort. The E1 will work on batteries also.

How many miles is it to australia from where you are? the reason i ask is that radio waves arrive from basically two paths, one is skywave that bounces off the ionosphere, the other is groundwave which travels along the ground. There is a zone between where the groundwave dies off and the skywave begins where you cannot receive a signal. It will be a doughnut shaped area (torroidal) starting about 100 miles out and going a few hundred miles. The shortest hop for skywave also depends on the frequency and the antenna type and type of propagation. The BBC will be no problem as it is far enough away for skywave propagation, but if Australia is only 150-500 miles or so it might be impossible to get consistant reception.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.