• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need some help with setup in my H3

txsarge

Jan 27, 2009
I am in the process of taking the class to get my ham lic. I am looking for a radio right now. But what I am looking for are some pics of how yall have your radios set up in your vehicles.

If you can let me see some pics of how yall set your radios up in your car that would be great and if you have a hummer that would be even better.

Thanks guys/gals

Well, I don't think anybody on WWRF has a Hummer H3. Could be wrong.
Are you studying to get a Tech, General, or Extra Ham license? You didn't say.
I'm going to explain it basically, so that anybody reading this can benefit as well. You have a lot of room in a Hummer; I took a ride in the full-size Hummer before. Room-y.
Mounting it should be pretty easy for that reason.

There are no 'pet ways' to mount a radio, but some people do mount them on a tunnel mount - on the transmission tunnel. Or, on the headliner like a truck driver. I don't think any two installations are the same, as inside the vehicle space is different from car to a truck. Mounting beneath the dash where the face panel can be easily seen is obvious enough. I think that is the most common way of mounting it. Easy to do in a Hummer.

One of the questions on the Ham exam is about mounting a radio in a vehicle. This will depend entirely on how many amps the radio will draw. A CB w/o and amplifier could use the cigarette plug for power - as it generally uses less than ten amps. Same is true for a 2 or 6 meter radio. A 160-10 meter Ham rig is different - though - as they draw a lot of current when transmitting. You cannot use the cigarette lighter/plug because they don't have big enough wire or fused well enough to handle the amperage. Even in a Hummer. Could blow fuses constantly - or cause a fire if too much current is being drawn thru those wires if you try to use a bigger fuse to compensate. Not advisable to do it that way. The way to do it is to get a direct connection to the battery; red/+ black/-. Too simple? Some people still miss that one. If you are contemplating a 160-10 meter radio or adding a linear amp to a CB or import radio, one may have to consider getting a deep-cycle battery - or even running two batteries. Using a high-output alternator is also being used quite often, as they are available for people who install monster sound systems that require lotsa power. Or even running more than one alternator - too! Depends on how much current your system will require.

The next problem is the antenna. You also didn't say what kind of radio you were considering. Your Tech license will permit you to talk on 10, 6, 2, 1.25, and .70 meter bands. Let's assume that you are talking about a 2m/440 radio. But even a 10 or 6 meter radio - or even a CB radio - would still have to be hooked up the same way. You can get a magnet mount type antenna that should be fine. High winds coupled with high driving speed will be a reason for concern, as this can knock off even very powerful magnet mounts. But if you are going to see some tough off-road use, then a lid mount may be best. If you are going to run a 80-10 meter antenna for a full Ham rig; then your antenna may get damaged if you decide to go off-road with it. These Ham antennas range from slightly bigger than a CB - to a HUGE coil that is delicate but performs much better. All things being equal, the full Ham rigs will be the most delicate. While the CB, 10 meter, and 2 meter radios will be plenty rugged for off-road use.

I have no pictures to show; maybe some here can show off their work - next...

Last edited:
i never seen inside a h3 but i know people l;ike to mount thier radios
on a overhead console.now if your vehicle doesnt have one check jc whitney.com
or ya could make one.anothere method if ya got bucket seats is a slip seater
fits real nice between the 2 two seats.very nice in minivans.for antennas
magnet mounts are the easiest way 2 go

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.