• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need to replace coax wilson 1000

sandpiperx

Jan 15, 2010
Denton, Texas USA
I need to replace the coax on a Wilson 1000 mag mount.. Cut the line and it is toast. From what I see here I pretty much just need to solder in a new coax..

Is there a certain length that Wilson requires. 18ft? Please Advise and have a great day.. Markip :blink:

i have replaced the coax on a wilson 1000 before and its not that hard at all, but you will need to use a good quality soldering iron. those 30 watt jobs from rad shak wont heat the braid and that brass ferrule enough.

i used LMR240 and would recommend that to anyone thinking of doing this.

its double shielded, and in my install, it made a noticeable difference in the noise pickup from the vehicle.

oh, and the length did not seem to matter. the length of coax i used was about 11 feet long.
no ill effects noticed.

just my experience,
LC

thank you good people ( i assuming LOL) for the info.. I just ordered 20" of the lmr 240 with a Pl 259 on one end the other end open coax. I have all the correct solder gear just wanted to know the best route for this type of mobile. I have already taken it5 apart and was a little surprised at how easy the reconnect will be.. Life is good .. thanks again.

Markp

i have replaced the coax on a wilson 1000 before and its not that hard at all, but you will need to use a good quality soldering iron. those 30 watt jobs from rad shak wont heat the braid and that brass ferrule enough.

i used LMR240 and would recommend that to anyone thinking of doing this.

its double shielded, and in my install, it made a noticeable difference in the noise pickup from the vehicle.

oh, and the length did not seem to matter. the length of coax i used was about 11 feet long.
no ill effects noticed.

just my experience,
LC

Did the same thing with a Wilson 5000.......that LMR 240 Ultra flex is great up to 1200 real watts. I had to replace the stick on mylar paint protector too.
Worked great until some A Hole cut the coax and stole it. Florida is a dumping ground for the thieving transplanted New York ghetto dwellers.

Did the same thing with a Wilson 5000.......that LMR 240 Ultra flex is great up to 1200 real watts. I had to replace the stick on mylar paint protector too.
Worked great until some A Hole cut the coax and stole it. Florida is a dumping ground for the thieving transplanted New York ghetto dwellers.
When you say REAL watts are you saying the watts you get from a heathkit or Tokyo high power and not the watts you get from a DAVEMADE clone>?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.