• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEED TUBE CB TECNICHION

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
I finally got around to unpacking my second sonar fs2340. I've been using my 2340 that's all original no modifications. This second one is the only one that has the audio clipper board bypass mod. Unlike the one I'm using I use an amplified d104 on this one. Because of the audio clipper board bypass a d104 makes it scream. The problem is that the phased locked loop decimal is appearing in the led channel selector and both the receive and transmittt are dead on all 40 channels. I've read the manual and the problem and repair is noted so I'm assuming this is a problem that does occur on the fs2340. I don't think it's that common as I've never had this happen to any of the three I own. Im looking for someone who knows how to repair this problem on my sonar fs2340. Im really looking for a tec that can repair many tube rigs as I may have other gear that needs work. As I unpack more rigs through out the fall and winter. I hope that there is someone out there who really knows his stuff. I know there are real Tecs out there. Please don't recommend a butcher. I've owned many of my rigs for 35years+ and thay have a lot of sentimental value. I've never shipped a cb off to someone i don't know but I've no choice. I know there are many people on wwdx who although I've never met, i believe in my heart to be trustworthy. I hope one of you who have helped me in the past can help me out once again. Someone recommended Allan. I contacted him. He is honest and told me that he doesn't work on sonars. Thanks my friend's.

I don't know anything about the techs. mentioned above but I had a hell of a time trying to find a tech. to service my old Tram D201.

if you go to the members list you can find them there and PM them. I do know Nomadradio does not take mail in radios. one is in Virginia and the other in North Carolina I believe it is. they are around the east coast I do know for sure.have no idea where you are located.

I have been tempted a few times to pick up an old vintage tube radio on eBay but because of the scarcity of parts and the lack of techs. to service these radios has killed my temptation.

Find yourself a tube tester for starters. There are still lots of parts around if you want to look for them. Tube equipment is often much simpler than solid state.

OFTEN?? Tube gear is MUCH simpler.

BTW I see what time you posted that and I know when and where you work. Stop posting on the internet and get back to work. LOL

J/K

Then why is it so hard to find a tech. to service these radios?

Probably because there is no money in it for them. It's pretty hard to charge someone $100 to work on a radio that is worth about $10 on the market. LOL seriously though that's one reason. Also think about the lack of these radios out there and how often someone wants one worke3d on. Most techs have no idea about tubes and even if they did the documentation on these old radios is pretty scarce.When was the last time someone took an old tube television to be repaired? Doesn't mean the parts to repair them are not there or that they are hard to repair it just means there is no demand for them any longer.

The components in those old tubers are old.

Carbon resistors tend to change value over the years.

It takes a long amount of time to unsolder, measure, remove and replace those old out of tolerance components.

As CK said hard to charge for labor when the cost is more than the value of the radio.

On the other hand if you can perform your own maintenance on the radio they can be a great value to own and repair. IF your hobby is repairing old tubers.

Exactly. It's no different than the hams that like their old tube transmitters and especially tube receivers. The parts are out there to repair them. Sometimes you may have to do a little looking but they are there. If you had to pay someone to maintain and align one of those old boat anchors you had better not mind spending more than the radio is worth however if you know how to do it yourself it can be quite rewarding in the end.

I got to agree with wavrider and CK. The younger generation wanted nothing to do with toobs. The older techs that work on these are well, just too old now and lot have died off. Any part can be replace or something redesigned to take it's place. this is where know how comes into play.
My theory? If you own old tube rigs, learn how to work on them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.