• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Neighbor complaining about noise in his surround sound system . . .

That's not true. Just because you run power doesn't mean you will bleed on your neighbors. This is where running a clean signal comes into play. Try running you amp where it should be run, not where it could be, and then run a filter to cut down harmonics and it will make a big difference. Sometimes just backing off the mic gain can make a big difference. Learn how to use the equipment you own properly and you will be much better off.

(y)(y)(y)

I run about 4-600w into an IMAX with no ground plane and don't have any RFI /TVI problems at all since I added an external filter. Even prior to that the only issue I had was occasionally being heard through my neighbors gaming headphones.

By only running at about half available power I have a much cleaner signal and no interference problems.

Remember there is a HUGE difference interfering with an RF device and a non-RF device concerning what the problem is and what the cure is. Radio and TV etc will benefit from filters and clean transmitted signal. Things like stereo amps and computer speakers can be interfered with regardless of how clean the signal is. The long unshielded audio and speaker leads pick up the RF and route it back into the amp causing the problem.When we moved an AM transmitter site we started creaming the PA system in a church. They had all pro Bogan gear and we were of course running commercial broadcast gear. All it took as to install a simple ferrite bead on the base leg of the preamp transistor inside the amp and install bypass caps on the speaker leads. Problem gone. It was a simple case of excellent gear being used on both ends yet a problem still existed.

Reactions: 1 person
New filter in place.

Turned down modulation well under 100%.

I'll check with him this weekend to see if he heard anything.

After that I'll give him or help him install chokes around the surround sound amp . . . . after that . . . . .not sure.

Best think you can buy to help you understand what you are doing an O-scope is your closest friend in the radio world learning to use it is as simple as YouTube and a project box for sampling . As to why class C or as you know it transistor and ab or ab1 google those types of amps and read read read there's of good info out there . Not that asking on here is wrong or anything but you don't have to wait for replys lol just keep searching man . I used to make my DVR record random shows mainly Spanish channels and gospel and with some scope time and fine tuning no more problems.

And I will say a watt meter for most is just a ego boost I use my wattmeter to set my dead keys on my radio/box after that I don't care for the most part because I loaf it so much I don't wanna know I just watch my reflect and roll on.

Reactions: 2 people
I really doubt an angry neighbor is gonna let you in to take apart his speakers or his electronics, the church.....yes. What if you're in a tiny subdivision with many cookie-cutter house's, are you gonna pass out ferrite's to all of them? Im running an amp on my base with decent equipment but i dont know if im going over my neighbors stuff, so can i say im clean? Nobody is complaining.....im not gonna go knock on doors and ask em,LOL. It sounds cocky to say your running thousands of watts on a CB base station and your not coming over their speakers, but you were before ya put chokes on the speak's. I remember back in the early 90's i bought a huge Texas star, a couple days went by my next door neighbor's garage door opener was going up & down, he was pissed. Another one about 15 houses down couldnt hear on her phone at all. Here's the funny part....i blew up my next door neighbors TV, $100 to fix at local repair shop. Todays electronics are shielded alot better than years ago, but the cheap stuff your amp will tear up. I also had a neighbor buy a handheld walkie-talkie to dead-key me......i blew his recieve up, lol.....no more dead-key. I like a good, strong sounding radio not stock.

my old antennas (1/4 wave ground plane and my dipole) both with a homemade choke used to come through loud on my surround sound and on all the laptop speakers in the house. i got the sirio gainmaster up that has the built in choke and i have no interference at all now.

I really doubt an angry neighbor is gonna let you in to take apart his speakers or his electronics, the church.....yes. What if you're in a tiny subdivision with many cookie-cutter house's, are you gonna pass out ferrite's to all of them? Im running an amp on my base with decent equipment but i dont know if im going over my neighbors stuff, so can i say im clean? Nobody is complaining.....im not gonna go knock on doors and ask em,LOL. It sounds cocky to say your running thousands of watts on a CB base station and your not coming over their speakers, but you were before ya put chokes on the speak's. I remember back in the early 90's i bought a huge Texas star, a couple days went by my next door neighbor's garage door opener was going up & down, he was pissed. Another one about 15 houses down couldnt hear on her phone at all. Here's the funny part....i blew up my next door neighbors TV, $100 to fix at local repair shop. Todays electronics are shielded alot better than years ago, but the cheap stuff your amp will tear up. I also had a neighbor buy a handheld walkie-talkie to dead-key me......i blew his recieve up, lol.....no more dead-key. I like a good, strong sounding radio not stock.

I run a yc156 tube (3cpx5000), and I don't bother anyone around. I have gone door to door and asked everyone and told them if they ever experience any problems be sure and let me know. Keep my equipment running clean and run well below the potential of the tube and don't have ANY problems. If you are bleeding on your neighbors then you still have work to do.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.