• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new 10k base antenna pic

an imax2000 will outperform that setup, and a good bit cheaper too. I dont wanna flame your setup, I like experimenting myself, I just hope ya had those 10k's sitting around and ya didnt go buy 4 of those just to do it.

undertaker said:
Is this a joke???
No, it's not a joke. It's not really my creation. A man that is very popular around the Dallas-Fort Worth area told me 3 years ago that this set up would perform very well. It's not just a bunch of guesswork. The antenna tuned 1.0 on channel 1 and just barely 1.1 on channel 40. I didn't know it but Starduster built one back in the 70's almost just like it. The radials used was coil antennas almost just like the ones on mine. A friend of mine that works in a cb shop showed me a picture of the Starduster on the front of an old cb magazine from back in the mid 70's.
The antennas pointing down are just part of the ground plane. The antenna on top is the latest antenna I am building with the new coil design. It's the driven element. It tunes just like a mobile antenna and tunes very easily. I had a 6 element qued up there for two years but I got tired of taking it down to repair it from high winds. I sold it, painted the tower and stood it back up so it wouldn't be in the way when the yard was mowed. It stood there without an antenna of any kind for a good while.
The radials are original 22" shaft single coil 10K antennas. The part that they screw into is just like the one that the Starduster antenna used. They are hard to find. I'm not into production on this antenna and don't even know if I ever will be because of the heavy work load of the 10K mobile. If I do, I will have the people that makes all of the other 10K antenna parts to make the one that the radials screw into and the rest will be a simple do it yourself assembly.
I'm just glad I don't have to take it down and put it back up all of the time. I want to say before I go any further that I'm not trying to put any sales talk on anyone to buy this antenna. When Blanket said it sounded like a joke because I was using coil antennas,I didn't like that. I don't know how much education you have, Blanket, but you don't tell me it won't work if you haven't even tried it. Every inch of this antenna was laid out on paper before I built it. Not by me but by a very well educated man in antennas. The antenna has much gain and receives as well as the quad. I live 6 miles south of Burleson Texas and held a conversation with "Bad Gas" 60 miles away near Dallas with no amplifier. I was talking on a Magnum S-3 radio with the Top Gun Modulator on. It talks good skip barefoot and it talks good skip with my old Phantom going into my Henry with a couple of 500 Z's in it. So far I'm the only one that's having fun on one. Kale

its true there was a starduster m800 i owned one years ago,

i sold it to an old guy who used it for years, this old guy was an instrument technition at the loacl power station and a real MARCONI type character with a large chart on his shack wall of all the different antennas he owned with vswr bandwidth and singal reports for each antenna, half the antennas he owned originally belonged to me,
last year he gave me a call and asked if i wanted it back as he was having a clearout and always said if he was getting rid of either that or my old sigma4 i could have them back,

when i picked it up we had a chat about it and he told me that inside the fiberglass tubes around which the coils are formed are small capacitors forming a parallel tuned circuit one of which he had to replace as it went short and altered the tuning,

the shortened radiator had a large loop which was as the old guy said bifilar wound ( one turn clockwise then up about 1.5" and then one turn anticlockwise )
he claimed that cancelled the radiation from the loop,
he also said it was a clever way to make the most of the usa height restriction on cb antennas in the same vein as the astroplane but using a different method of achieving a similar goal of raising the point of maximum radiation,

i took pics to post here and gave the antenna to a ham friend because it was in too poor a state for me to be bothered with, it only had sentimental value to me and my buddy wanted it,
i lost the pics :( ,

come on jack what did that loop do on the old m800 and why parallel tuned circuits in the 3 legs?

first... i apologize Kale

i did not think about the possibility of that photo of an antenna (that may not even be a final product to be sold) would cause some of the ignorant , disrespectful , ego stroking and mean spirited comments that were made .
jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.