• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 148gtl : No AM Audio

sdmahr

Dec 14, 2012
First of all, I know all about the new 148gtl and the reputation it has. I got two N.I.B. units for nothing......so I'm experimenting to make them "work" as they should.

One radio actually works quite well, but the other works well only on SSB (Upper and Lower) but on AM it puts out very little power, no audio, and a "Hum" on my listener radio. The S-Meter doesn't swing when keyed either.

Any clues where to start ??

No more recommendations?? The radio performs surprisingly well on SSB.....but will not transmit in AM.

I did replace the AM power transistor..............same condition. Microphone checks out o.k.

No power output, no S/RF movement when keyed.

Any other ideas GREATLY appreciated !

Check TR41 and 42 and do you have receive audio if so the audio amp is good then check TR36 and 38 should see 12 volts on tx in SSB mode and 6 volts on tx in AM mode

So I checked out the voltage at the finals........

TR36

It has 0V on the pin it should have 7.2V on during X-mit

TR38

This thing swings almost 20 watts on SSB so the finals are working properly in the SSB mode.

The power transistor for AM is functioning properly. Seems like it isn't being "switched" to supply the finals in AM Transmit. Can anyone point me in the direction of how this 7.2V gets switched to the finals and what component I should check next ??

I hope you get them straightened out. I'd venture to say that these radio succumbed to the golden screwdriver of some bone head self proclaimed "CB Tech" before you got them for free. Free is good and the 148 GTL is a good radio that's been around for a long time.

So I checked out the voltage at the finals........

TR36

TR38

This thing swings almost 20 watts on SSB so the finals are working properly in the SSB mode.

The power transistor for AM is functioning properly. Seems like it isn't being "switched" to supply the finals in AM Transmit. Can anyone point me in the direction of how this 7.2V gets switched to the finals and what component I should check next ??

That radio has been fiddled with for sure if you are seeing 20 watts pep on SSB. The new 148's cannot keep up with that much power, I would back the SSB peak down to 10-14 watts or it will sound like crap.

Once you figure out what is broke fix that part, then give it a factory alignment and a very conservative tune. After that you might luck out and sound average at best with it on the air. Free is free though so what the heck I guess.

Voltages on TR41 and TR42 are not correct. The schematic / service manual and my radio don't match completely.........trying to figure out what is what.

Thanks for the inputs...........I gotta step away for a while and take a break.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.