• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 2950DX ?

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I was wanting to buy another 2950DX, the one with the darker display. Are they still shipping with the E-chip conversion or are they being modified differently now.

Not sure if RCI got a spanking like RF Limited did.

i just received one today and it came with the e-chip. and funny thing is i order it from C----er electronics and they actually told me it ships with the chip and they asked if i wanted their tune i declined it but i did get the chip. put it in and 24.000 - 32.000 and yes it has the black display. much quieter rx. 269.74 shipped to my door it was on the proch this morning did not even here ups truck . lol

Reactions: 1 person
Good deal, that's good to know.

I wonder if Ranger will have to change the conversion. Converting the 2950 seems easier than converting the older Magnum 257's and such.

I thought the QRZ posse types hated the Ranger more since it's been around longer.

Good deal, that's good to know.

I wonder if Ranger will have to change the conversion. Converting the 2950 seems easier than converting the older Magnum 257's and such.

I thought the QRZ posse types hated the Ranger more since it's been around longer.

hams are allowed to have this radio even though it will transmit on 11 meters cuz they the "fcc" are sure the licensed operator will be honest and not transmit on the illegal band.

They ( FCC) have been spanked a lot by Rangers Lawyer, I think you would have to see some restrictions on Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom if they are going to enforce the "rule`s" fairly.

The Idea "Should" be to Stop Blaming the Equipment for Operating out of Specifications , Blame The Operator.

Apply the FCC standard to something in everyday life.

Most Car`s are very capable of exceeding 80/100 MPH.
So, Instead of Issuing Traffic tickets, we should force all car Mfg`s to limit the top speed of any car built, or imported to The US to not exceed 55 MPH, and if they do we fine them.

Jeff

Anyone know if the e-chip is sold separately on line? I found a used 2950dx locally, but the owner lost all the original accessories that came with the radio, only has mic and transceiver, and it hasn't been converted. Does the e-chip have to stay in the radio? or is it only used for conversion and then removed. I used to own an orange face old school 2950 that used a DIP jumper for conversion, I wish it was that easy. Thanks for any tips

They ( FCC) have been spanked a lot by Rangers Lawyer, I think you would have to see some restrictions on Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom if they are going to enforce the "rule`s" fairly.

The Idea "Should" be to Stop Blaming the Equipment for Operating out of Specifications , Blame The Operator.

So, Instead of Issuing Traffic tickets, we should force all car Mfg`s to limit the top speed of any car built, or imported to The US to not exceed 55 MPH, and if they do we fine them.

Jeff
Very good point!

Is the black face truly better than the previous model? Is the receive quieter as claimed?

The display is the only change. Any Export out of the box after a conversion will have to have the receive re-aligned. That would be a good time to also have it tuned and put on frequency.

They have a nice price at 248 plus shipping, you will still have to pay a good tech 45 bucks to tune/convert/and align the thing. Most people skip all that though. I bet the receive on a 2950 set by DTB radio would be outstanding.

I can't say how the new 2950DX-3 compares to the older models. I bought a new 2950DX3 around Christmas and used it in the semi truck. Worked like a champ for the first 4 months (using an Astatic 636L), now it's having problems (shutting off while transmitting and frequncy display blanking out). I just got an R.A.# from Ranger and will be sending it in for repair.

Jeff

Export radios don't annoy people, stupid people armed with export radios annoy people.

Reactions: 2 people
I can't say how the new 2950DX-3 compares to the older models. I bought a new 2950DX3 around Christmas and used it in the semi truck. Worked like a champ for the first 4 months (using an Astatic 636L), now it's having problems (shutting off while transmitting and frequncy display blanking out). I just got an R.A.# from Ranger and will be sending it in for repair.

In my experince with Rci-2950=All the generation Models, They don't ride too well in a Semi-Truck, 36yrs behind the Wheel=Old School JMHO.

73's
Skynyrd

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.