• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new 55 merlin base antenna

CDX-007,
If you express one in 'dBi' then express the other in 'dBi'. there's still only a 1.2 dB of difference in either unit of measure. So, that 5/8 isn't 3dBd or dBi stronger than the 1/2 wave, just 1.2 (actually, not quite that much, but who'z counting?).
As for near field or at a distance, 'Momma Nature' has a whole lot to say about that, doesn't she. How do you quantify and factor that in such a comparison? Too many subjective variables for an objective answer.
- 'Doc

CDX-007,
If you express one in 'dBi' then express the other in 'dBi'. there's still only a 1.2 dB of difference in either unit of measure. So, that 5/8 isn't 3dBd or dBi stronger than the 1/2 wave, just 1.2 (actually, not quite that much, but who'z counting?).
As for near field or at a distance, 'Momma Nature' has a whole lot to say about that, doesn't she. How do you quantify and factor that in such a comparison? Too many subjective variables for an objective answer.
- 'Doc

I'm sorry but I got so caught up in the New Year's festivities that I guess I just haven't slept enough this year. I may have been confusing the gain over a 1/2 wave dipole with the gain over a 1/2 wave vertical.

a .64 is about 3dBd or about 1.2dBv where v = 1/2 wave vertical. Perhaps this will clarify that we are in agreement.

Last edited:
Polarity.
If both are the same polarity, 1.2 (+/-) difference in gain. Where/how the thing is fed only makes a difference in the required impedance matching, nothing to do with gain. Depending on 'where' the measuring of the field is done, polarity can make more than 20 dB of difference, not just 1.2 (+/-) dB. For a valid comparison, I would think that the polarity would be the same, unless illustrating what a difference in polarity can be instead of a difference in radiator length. I give up...
- 'Doc

i live where the 55 is made and some one on the radio recently bought one. i can tell you there is a dramatic diff in his signal and sound before on a 99 and now on the merlin. i plan to get one soon as i can get it cheaper due to not having to pay freight. i have been to the factory and seen them being made and talked with mr 55 at length. he knows what he is doing big time! i recently put one of his mobil antennas on my truck and its preformance is outstanding. better than the 102 it replaced. his stuff is not hype. he perfected the big coil antenna and sold the pat to fatboy.

MC if you want 55's number pm me for it. Unless an admin gives me permission to post it in the open.

recent use has shown an increase in tx over the other antennas i used. Imax and 99's cant compair. Since I now am able to talk on 10m I retuned the antenna. centered it on 27.8-9. ON 27.150 to 28.550 i have 1.2 swr. 1.5 to 1.5 swr is 2.5 mhz wide, 2.0swr is 3.5 mhz wide.

MC I am not going to go rounds with you on antennas. get his number. buy one and try it for yourself. A ham operator had a 5/8 gp, put up a merlin and now reports that he can contact europe on a regular basis. With is old antenna it was near imposible without great conditions.

the hot element may be based on a 1/4 wave, with the coax in the middle of the antenna, radials below it do you think its posible its acting more of a 1/2 wave dipole?

when everyone was on a predetor 10k band wagon due to the hype and the right people talking about it people thought it was the best. but the much older 55 coil can out tx it any day. hmmm that old starduster design getting a second wind posibly. with some upgrades of course.

is this just like the pepsi coke debate of the ages? there is no way the other is better?

mc you buy the antenna , ill pay the shipping for you.

What I'd like is an antenna which causes Sunspots so if I put it up in the space between my ea... uhm, over the house, I will be able to talk skip when there wasn't any before, - you know like regularly to Europe,
...and Malaysia so I can tell them to solder those 148GTL boards more carefully.

Then, maybe if I wound a coil, like, 29.6" up my .64 and tested clockwise versus counterclockwise, and then another just below the top, then added a triangle on top kinda like a pyramid frame so all the energy of the ionosphere would be directed down toward the matching network which I would alternately C0PPER plate then GOLD plate, then C0PPER plate to cause the right resonances for the lower sideband channels and filter out all those unwanted upper sideband channels, then added an swr filter 1/2 way up, with 1/8 wave strings of light gauge silver plated wire with bells on the ends which ring every time an angel's wing gets hit by RF...
icon_stupid.gif

You know, that top-loaded, 1/2 wave dipole 55 should perform about .5dB-1dB below a Starduster because of the loss in the coil and the loss of vertical radiator in the 'top hat', (which ain't bad) but please don't throw out hype then say "I'm not going to argue" when we simply want to know the factual, non-superstitious, mathematical reasons that a top-loaded center-fed 1/2 wave dipole should perform anywhere near those crazy-high claims.

It appears reasonably well-built, and capable of fairly high power handling. Other than that, it's a top-loaded Starduster with a top hat which adds slight horizontal coupling. It should be about 2 S-units down from a .64 at 35 miles over flat terrain when received by another vertically polarized station.

By the way, a 5/8 or .64 does not radiate from the bottom, it radiates from a point beginning 1/8 wave up the radiator to the top, with the current maxim about 3/8 up the radiator, or around 14' above the counterpoise radials for 11m.
http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/schemas/58vhfvertical_on6mu01.gif

CDX-007, your ideas about antenna gain are all based on theoretically bases assumptions that are noted in the following charts. The assumption is used in science as a base line for gain comparisons that are not affected by Earth variables. Your numbers and those on the charts agree. So, I don't see how you can disagree with what I have said thus far.

I enjoy reading your posts and I don't wish to just piss you off and you go into some tirade like earlier.
icon_stupid.gif

However, you are failing to consider that these chart calculations were taken over an infinite conductive ground. The gain values you preach are true under those circumstances, but they are theoretical and mother Earth changes things in such a way as to make the gain and angle of radiation for these three styled antennas much closer when the antennas are placed over real Earth. Another factor your figures don't take into account are the effects of different soil conditions.

Another thing about the top chart is to consider the low angle area of the radiation intensity that is depicted by all three antennas. You will note that all three cover probably 90% or more of the maximum field that we might consider useful in ground communications near the horizon. When we can believe an antenna report we might hear on these various CB antennas we use, this might help explain why they can vary.

You may be right with many of your ideas, but I think you are being a bit too categorical with the gain and performance of these different sized CB antennas. I might not change your mind, but I ask you to just consider this argument.

58wavemystiqueq.jpg

I'd like to see all these folks who put down every antenna that they do not like build one and market it. Maybe then everyone else could get some real "quality" antennas that work on the air as well as on paper. It is easy to put down anothers work when you are setting on your can. This is not directed at everyone as a whole but only a select few who always seem to have nothing good to say about anything. You can study antenna theory all of your life and still not know half of it.
Cajun Invader I hope you enjoy your antenna. After all it is what you wanted to buy and no matter what anyone else says the decision was yours. If everyone liked the same thing this would be a very boring world.

BC

No pisser here! As a local has been known to say, (ad nauseum) It's all about the FUN!!

And as far as an earlier "tirade", naw, sometimes I just get a little kbd happy and like to stir the sh... uh, 'anti-monotony' pot a bit.

Humor is where you find it, and mine is so bad I sometimes have to fake it.

But listening to weird claims of European skip and wild gain & S-unit improvement figures sometimes gets my dander up, but no real attitude here!

I have played antennas for so many years, building everything from 1/2wave dipoles to multi-element Quads to Skelton Cone HF quadpoles, and what I share is what I've seen from here at 150' ASL to 5000' in the Desert.

My uncle had a Starduster we erected on a 5 section telescoping mast over his roof. He insisted we use the crappy R/S 4-strand guy wire that he had already bought instead of the 1,000' rolls of 6/18 or 6/20 I always preferred to use.

The wind came up, the top section of guy wire broke and down she came. I didn't DARE say "I told you so!!" because he was not only a School teacher, but ex-Navy and I feared a close-up of that anchor tatoo would've been the last thing I remembered...

The Starduster broke a radial on it's way down so instead of accepting my idea of replacing it with a 102" steel whip he was sure it was ruined and replaced it with a Ringo (of all things).

I tried my best to get him to snag a used Sigma5/8 which was available at the time for the same price as the new Ringo, but he wanted a "Clean installation with no horizontal rods".

We cut off and removed what was left of the bent top section of the 5-section, leaving a heavy-duty 4-section with a Ringo on top. Same radio, coax, coax length, NOT the same performance.

He went from a consistent S-9 plus 9 or, 'Nine over' to about a dB above the 10-over block on the Johnson 223, arguably one of the best meter AGC circuits ever.
I called it 3dB gain in 9 miles with the same overall height. One reason I dislike the Starduster, never found it much of a performer, though not junk, just seemed real 'average' until it broke off the mounting hub.

- Just one experience where I was able to test and see an exact change, and for the better or worse, that's what I have used, (sometimes including rather useless near-field gain figures) for decades.

I do not recall a time when I was surprised at the outcome of a change of antenna after my advice was asked and followed, and I used to do one-two per weekend back in the late '70s & early '80s. Must have installed hundreds over the years.

Am I always perfectly right or correct? - Well, that follows, generally speaking, being that which I've been referred to so often by others as a "Nobody", and since we all know that nobody's perfect, that must mean I'm perfect.
smokin.gif

Last edited:
the marketing is the only thing i have a problem with . i understand certian antenna designs can excell over others in certian situations . but claiming this thing is a 5/8 killer in most situations is a bit much .

im gonna build a full wave length antenna with ground radials and feed line at the top but turn it upside down so it shoots straight down and advertise it as the best cb antenna cause it has a lower angle of signal radiation than any other cb antenna .

DONT ENCOURAGE ME !!!
i get in plenty of trouble all by myself already . :)

how about a dual ground with hot in the middle and grounds top and bottom ?
itll do a pancake shaped radiation pattern . LOL

Hey Marconi,
I'm sorry, earlier I was in somewhat of a rush to finish as I had a friend on his way over and only lightly scanned your reply. I just reread it more carefully.

In your info about differing ground conductivity I seriously doubt it has more than a negligible effect on most of these 10m & 11m antennas in question since most are erected several 1/2 waves above ground, and some are complete with their own counterpoise system, making earth ground mostly irrelevant.

Regarding ground reflection, I believe that would remain a constant with most types of antennas tried at a certain specific location, except the better (lower angle radiators) might actually see MORE ground reflection gain due to their lower take off angle, theoretically speaking.

I honor real-world tests, and though there can sometimes be some odd unconsidered factors in play, usually when one antenna design fairly consistently outperforms another in most typical applications I would consider that empirically well proven design theory.

007, except of talking on these antennas my experience earlier was with mobiles. I only became actively interested in base antennas in the early 90’s after I got back into radio and several new high gain base antennas came on the market. Ads were making big gain claims that I had never experienced. I became curious and started to study and understand what I could of a complicated issue, and then to experiment and compare results.

It is ironic that you and I differ so much in our experiences and words. I talked about some rather nebulas topics regarding the effects of Earth and the soil under these CB antennas we use and compare. Again, It was my sole point to call attention to the fact that the theoretical chart for antenna gain I submitted was calculated and determined as though the antennas tested were positioned over an infinite conductive surface and to avoid the effects of Earth. And, you claim those effects are minimal.

The description of how these results were determined is listed right there in the captioned text of the each chart. The creator of the chart wanted to make it clear, regarding the distinction and to advise the reader about how the test was conducted. The words in the captions had a purpose.

At our level of understanding I realize that the topic of “Ground” and the affects of Earth on antennas may be a bit beyond our ability to determine or measure, and you raise a good point for why we raise our antennas as high as possible. But, it was the scientists involved with radio that made a singular distinction in considering too eliminate these affects of Earth in their determinations for gain---and they said nothing about height.

I consider this information as important distinction and you claim it is irrelevant. You say that due to the height we place our antennas the affects of Earth are negligible. I agree Earth factors are minimzed, but I'm not sure they are irrelevant. Even so---the numbers for gain that have been established as a standard are the same numbers you use, so no arguments up to this point, right?

It is my opinion that within some varying and reasonable range of height and location, that I find little overall real difference in performance between the CB 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, .64 wave antennas that we use and compare. You post you find lots of difference.

I record RX signals only and do not depend on TX signal reports. The differences I find vary a little depending on the location of the TX stations recorded. I test two of my antennas, side by side, and I record signal results from stations 8 – 60 miles away. You instead find 10 – 15 db or more differences between a 1/4 wave and a .64 wave antenna.

I do test all antennas at the same tip height based on the old FCC rule governing maximum heights for vertical CB base stations. I concede to the idea that maybe testing should be conducted with feed points as the same height. However, I have been told that when vertical antennas are actually tested on a test range, the antennas are all tilted over into the horizontal to make testing fair and easier to measure FS testing. If that is true, then my efforts to make height fair are due some consideration. I accept your arguments that this may be the difference we are discussing.

I can give you some links to these ideas that go all the way back to the ’20 and Stuart Ballantine, wrote “On the Optimum Wavelength for a Vertical Antenna over Perfect Earth,” if you like,

Thanks for your comments.

007, except of talking on these antennas my experience earlier was with mobiles. I only became actively interested in base antennas in the early 90’s after I got back into radio and several new high gain base antennas came on the market. Ads were making big gain claims that I had never experienced. I became curious and started to study and understand what I could of a complicated issue, and then to experiment and compare results.

It is ironic that you and I differ so much in our experiences and words. I talked about some rather nebulas topics regarding the effects of Earth and the soil under these CB antennas we use and compare. Again, It was my sole point to call attention to the fact that the theoretical chart for antenna gain I submitted was calculated and determined as though the antennas tested were positioned over an infinite conductive surface and to avoid the effects of Earth. And, you claim those effects are minimal.

The description of how these results were determined is listed right there in the captioned text of the each chart. The creator of the chart wanted to make it clear, regarding the distinction and to advise the reader about how the test was conducted. The words in the captions had a purpose.

At our level of understanding I realize that the topic of “Ground” and the affects of Earth on antennas may be a bit beyond our ability to determine or measure, and you raise a good point for why we raise our antennas as high as possible. But, it was the scientists involved with radio that made a singular distinction in considering too eliminate these affects of Earth in their determinations for gain---and they said nothing about height.

I consider this information as important distinction and you claim it is irrelevant. You say that due to the height we place our antennas the affects of Earth are negligible. I agree Earth factors are minimzed, but I'm not sure they are irrelevant. Even so---the numbers for gain that have been established as a standard are the same numbers you use, so no arguments up to this point, right?

It is my opinion that within some varying and reasonable range of height and location, that I find little overall real difference in performance between the CB 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, .64 wave antennas that we use and compare. You post you find lots of difference.

I record RX signals only and do not depend on TX signal reports. The differences I find vary a little depending on the location of the TX stations recorded. I test two of my antennas, side by side, and I record signal results from stations 8 – 60 miles away. You instead find 10 – 15 db or more differences between a 1/4 wave and a .64 wave antenna.

I do test all antennas at the same tip height based on the old FCC rule governing maximum heights for vertical CB base stations. I concede to the idea that maybe testing should be conducted with feed points as the same height. However, I have been told that when vertical antennas are actually tested on a test range, the antennas are all tilted over into the horizontal to make testing fair and easier to measure FS testing. If that is true, then my efforts to make height fair are due some consideration. I accept your arguments that this may be the difference we are discussing.

I can give you some links to these ideas that go all the way back to the ’20 and Stuart Ballantine, wrote “On the Optimum Wavelength for a Vertical Antenna over Perfect Earth,” if you like,

Thanks for your comments.

Excellent and thoughtful reply!

First, it sounds like you're making my argument for me when you mentioned that the very Scientists who gave us these gain figures (to use for workable comparisons) thought ground effects so minimal that they not only decided NOT to allow for it, but didn't even worry about specifying the height of the antenna above ground, as you mentioned.

It sounds to me like we are in agreement instead of debating...?

Also, when one compares one antenna's performance to another at their home shack, if it is a real-world comparison, who in the world is going to go purchase and install, (or plant) two or three different masts, towers, trees, etc. so they will be "Fair" about the comparison?

In the real world, one goes as high as po$$ible and then uses what they have as a supporting structure to place the antenna atop, - so who really 'gives a rip' if the tops or feed points are the same or not when one considers that one antenna design, by nature of it's design, (ie: Starduster, Astroplane) causes that antenna to be inferior due to it's very design providing inferior horizon visibility? (as in these cases in comparison to a .64)

That, in and of itself, in MY book is one MAJOR determining factor in the real-world performance comparison.

The idea is to find the best performer for one's station, NOT the best design IF everything is adjusted so any design deficiencies are equalized out, as that would result in a bogus comparison for everyone except maybe for someone on a mountain top, then they have such a height advantage they could run a 102" whip and probably still rule the county.

Please keep in mind, I'm referring to long range ground-wave performance when comparing omnis since a beam is usually preferable to a vertical for sky-wave DXing.

As far as seeing local differences between different designs, I recall when I bought my first dummy-load A99.
I had the Penetrator atop a 5-section telescoping mast and couldn't believe that ridiculous gain rating of 9.9dB on this new whiz-bang fiberglass antenna, but I HAD to try it just in case technology had found some new way of gaining efficiency.

I took the first A99 back because I thought it was defective since I lost so much performance. Stations who had consistently given me S-9+3 dropped to a weak S-7. I returned it, swapped it for another new one and same result.
I couldn't believe someone would not only lie about gain to such a ridiculous degree, but would even offer such an inferior performing antenna.

That's ~2.5 S-units difference (over about 10-12 miles) between two (1/2 wave) A99s and a (.64) Hy-Gain Penetrator, both mounted at ~60', same radio, coax, days, etc.

One thing I noticed about your comparison parameters, you mentioned that you used two separate masts. In my opinion this is a no-no because of the possibility that the testing station might be skewed to a degree off to one side, thus providing for a potential null to one antenna whilst the other may be nearer to a peak in the sinewave propogation.

Except for comparing static-bleeding capability, I have NEVER compared two antennas performance under side-by-side conditions. I always use the same mast, coax, radio, day or time of day, etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.