• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Gain Master vs. I-10K

Here is my Signal Report for the Gain Master vs. I-10K, both at the same height to the mount. The I-10K tried, but was no match for the Gain Master.

View attachment Gain Master vs. I-10K.pdf

The I-10K is down for good, so I put my AstroPlane back up. When I got through I broke for 4040 on the dock of the Bay Ca., and he came back on the first call. I also made contacts with stations all over the country.

I also connected with a station in Louisiana which is pretty close and very unusual. Dx is rolling everywhere.

Boy that report is going to disappoint the I-10K crowd. You mean to tell me the GM does exactly what Sirio says and beats ALL other 5/8 waves regardless of price? When I talked to Mr. Lorenzo at the factory I was more then convinced this would be the case after he presented me with it's theory of operation. Using the antenna extensively has confirmed the GM is a top performer. It equals the performance of the Vector with half the weight and wind load. It's already survived a severe North East blizzard that the Vector may not have. I'm more then happy with my GM. It's no wonder that the design is patented.

Boy that report is going to disappoint the I-10K crowd. You mean to tell me the GM does exactly what Sirio says and beats ALL other 5/8 waves regardless of price? When I talked to Mr. Lorenzo at the factory I was more then convinced this would be the case after he presented me with it's theory of operation. Using the antenna extensively has confirmed the GM is a top performer. It equals the performance of the Vector with half the weight and wind load. It's already survived a severe North East blizzard that the Vector may not have. I'm more then happy with my GM. It's no wonder that the design is patented.

I agree Shockwave, but I believe that part of the mystique in the GM is the fact that the feed point is typically 5'-11' higher in most installs...where everything is mounted on the same height support. I still believe that the location of the feed point in the height mix relationship...that has much to do with results of comparative performance.

Real interesting results. I look forward to more on the single pole/location system. BTW, send me some of your soil instead of my rocky Ozark stuff.

hmm

seems like the a99 without the radials or gpk, will work just as well as the other 2 for much cheaper.

I10k av test =7.3
A99 av test =7.2
GM test 1 av =7.4
GM test 2 av =7.8 But these are averages, when you look at the individual signals there were not any differences on most of those in fact you could say for the better part that 90 percent of the signal reports were the same.

QUOTE=HomerBB;254206]Real interesting results. I look forward to more on the single pole/location system. BTW, send me some of your soil instead of my rocky Ozark stuff.[/QUOTE]

Homer, I haven't really studied all these recent reports in total to see if there is something that I missed in my thinking, but I'll do that soon. I've done this before and generally find I miss something and thus made some bad conclusions as a result.

As I noted earlier, I took some signal reports this morning for the GM by itself and then put my AstroPlane back up on the new mount next to my shack. That is the last antenna I will test on both poles together. This gives me the AP vs. GM tested side by side on both poles and each on both poles alone I hope. I'm then going to take the GM down and test everything from the new mount outside of my shack.

Gain Master vs. AstroPlane 1611 #1 (640x480).jpg[

seems like the a99 without the radials or gpk, will work just as well as the other 2 for much cheaper.

I10k av test =7.3
A99 av test =7.2
GM test 1 av =7.4
GM test 2 av =7.8 But these are averages, when you look at the individual signals there were not any differences on most of those in fact you could say for the better part that 90 percent of the signal reports were the same.

You're right GG. According to a world of other reports and comments over the years most guys find 1-4 sunits difference between the antennas they compare, but the numbers you see here are what I get. I have other Signal Reports in my WWRF profile album that shows some of what I did in the summer of 2009 too. http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/marconi-albums-marconi-s-signal-reports-may-august-2009.html

I have three nice radios, but I'm not too sure the AGC circuit is messin' with the way the signals are shown. I have compared the signals on the radios and they are almost identical on all three, a Galaxy DX2547, Kenwood TS570D, Kenwood TS50, so I don't know if what I'm recording is right or not, it is what it is.

I've had other radios over the years and when I started posting on the Internet some years ago...I said the same things---I saw my vertical CB antennas make about the same signal. I did this work with some of my antennas long before the Internet was available for communications and again later as new antennas came on the market.

I got started in this hobby effort a long time ago, when I heard guys repeat the old story about the AstroPlane being a little bitty antenna that was weak and puny and would only work good close to the Earth when you couldn't raise one up. They even said it had to be mounted near the Earth below 20' max. Later I read the Patent, and then I knew it was all CBBS, they just look at the pictures and didn't read to understand the words. It happens all the time with CBer's. Of course I didn't believe it, so I set out to prove that point, and since then I've heard so much more CBBS that I'm amazed I'm still interested in radio.

Another complaint that I couldn't understand was the A99 was just a dummy load. On that one, it can be true, but I didn't find it to be a bad antenna if it worked right. In fact, I've owned several over the years. One was terrible and the other to worked great, so I realized some were just bad from the factory and I set out to figure out why...if I could. I took the bad one apart and found the coax shield was not tinned, and poorly soldered to the matching device, in fact three little shield wires seem like they might even be touching other parts. That was hard to tell though, after all the trouble it took to get inside.

For what it's worth, I soldered up the problem and radiated the antenna hanging in a tree and then it worked just fine with no more TVI or Splatter to all of my buddies in the neighborhood. It was hard to handle hung in a tree, but I think that bugger worked just fine outside of the FG random that Solorcon installs them in.

Thanks for the observations and comments.

Last edited:
Please understand that the engineers at Sirio are not idiots. Mr. Lorenzo provided the CST image and it's almost insulting that you guys would think he wasn't bright enough to send me an image showing the radiation at one of the two maximum current points. Any other phase angle shown in a still image would be useless. Give us a little more credit then that please. If looking at that image does not give you a clear indication of how the antenna works, perhaps reading about how CST works will help.

What having a development team with university degrees in RF technology and a $1 million USD shielded anechoic test chamber is not enough proof??.....also I don't understand this "lets mount the feedpoint at the same height stuff".....this antenna is designed to work as it does to let you put it at the same height as the antenna it replaces.....yes it works better......BUT thats the point in the design, why try and disprove it......:bdh:

I agree Shockwave, but I believe that part of the mystique in the GM is the fact that the feed point is typically 5'-11' higher in most installs...where everything is mounted on the same height support. I still believe that the location of the feed point in the height mix relationship...that has much to do with results of comparative performance.

Why would you mount an antenna lower in a "Real World" situations Marconi??....it wants to be in the sky, not low surely........in summer I'll crank my tower up and the SGM will have its tip at 105 feet from the ground.

Why would you mount an antenna lower in a "Real World" situations Marconi??....it wants to be in the sky, not low surely........in summer I'll crank my tower up and the SGM will have its tip at 105 feet from the ground.

Oggy I can't disagree, and I don't have any excuse, just call me an eccentric old man, that's why they call me Ole' Grampa, Corpus Christi, Texas. You live in the "Real World." I exist in the world of "...what if."

Next question!

Here is a very poor example of a video I just made. Sorry, but I just found a beacon on 27.100 mhz, so I tried to video quickly in case the beacon stopped and it's a bit of a mess. I will be planning better and for sure getting better prepared in the camera handling and production department. I think I said the GM was showing S9 and the AP showing S7 as I was looking thru the camera at the time, but the meter was actually showing S8 vs. S9. The camera is not suited for these closeups either.

YouTube - Gain Master vs AstroPlane using 27.100 mhz beacon

Pretty much the same way I was hearing you when you were switching antennas and talking to me last week.

IMO - The GM worked better than the A99 when we were talking.
I think it is a winner . . .

Hey Marconi
It wasn't the best video I had ever seen but I'm
gonna give you an A+ for thinking on your feet
and good old Yankee ingenuity.
(y)(y)(y)

That 'beacon' may have actually been on 27.095 which is 11A and often used for R/C toys, wireless computer mouses, and all sorts of things requiring a frequency to operate.

Another A+ for the video. (y)

That display sure mimics well that of the TS-2000. Is that the 2547?

Here is a very poor example of a video I just made. Sorry, but I just found a beacon on 27.100 mhz, so I tried to video quickly in case the beacon stopped and it's a bit of a mess. I will be planning better and for sure getting better prepared in the camera handling and production department. I think I said the GM was showing S9 and the AP showing S7 as I was looking thru the camera at the time, but the meter was actually showing S8 vs. S9. The camera is not suited for these closeups either.

YouTube - Gain Master vs AstroPlane using 27.100 mhz beacon

Top video.....can't beat seeing results......the way forward Marconi.....that was the reason I did my videos...plus filming both ends at the same time defeats the people crying cheat as well. Keep up the good work......very enjoyable reeding and now Watching!!(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.