• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Winds over 35 - 40 mph are not that uncommon here in Oklahoma. I wish they were! They also get quite a bit faster than that at times. Ever see a tied-down aircraft 'floating' at the ends of those tie-downs? I have.
- 'Doc

The GM is NOT a "fair weather" antenna. It handles poor weather conditions better than most. Since the sections are telescopic and overlapping, they do not have the same stress that we see with the Antron or Imax and their glued on metal threads. Loaded with heavy ice and wet snow in a Nor'easter or getting hit with Sandy during hurricane season shows no ill effects on this antenna.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/76970-new-antenna-sirio-gain-master-108.html#p

Would it be harmful to the antenna if the section that has the coils (that are coloured RED) were to be covered with a plastic sheeting for waterproofing purposes or would it make no difference at all for RX/TX??

I'd leave it alone.

Depending on your climate, you might create freeze thaw issues. You might also encounter mold or other funk. If Sirio thought it needed additional weatherproofing, they'd incorporated it in, or advise on doing it.

However, it's yours, do as you wish

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/76970-new-antenna-sirio-gain-master-108.html#p

Thanks Duster and Lil Yeshua ~~ the cammo paint seems like a good idea and so I'll go for that. Duster I never thought about fungal issues or problems from Ice or Condensation in that area, so thanks again for steering me the right way round. Nice Beard by the way.

I RECKON THAT ACRYLIC PAINT WITH NO METAL INGREDIENTS WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO. I'LL GET TO DO IT EVENTUALLY. (y)

If you are painting metal then it's a good idea that you use a paint that doesn't 'eat'/destroy metal. If it bonds to metal then it becomes a part of the antenna. No big deal unless you put it on so thick that you bend the thing, sort of self defeating, huh?
It's a good idea no matter how 'conductive' the paint it (or isn't) that you not paint the insulator parts of antennas. I'll bet you can think of why that would be.
How about non-metal antennas? Personally I would use a non-conductive paint. Or maybe just epoxy it, of refinish with a layer of fiberglass 'goop'.
There have to be several 'good' reasons to paint an antenna. In most cases, if it's to protect metal from tarnishing it's a waste of time. That 'tarnish' only affects the antenna's looks. If it's rusting out, then I think it would probably be a good idea to replace the thing and 'seal' it to start with, rather than try to extend it's usable life much. That assumes you can afford to do that, or there's another one available, of course.
I painted an antenna made of copper. Why? Because I got tired of looking at tarnished copper, no other 'good' reason. Didn't help/harm it's performance that I could tell, I just didn't have to look at it anymore. That a good reason? Beats me, but it made me happy.
Make your self happy as long as it doesn't cause problems. What if it causes problems? Don't do it anymore...
- 'Doc

Polish it and apply a coat of clear. I bought some airplane aluminum polish for my vector 4000. I also did some research on prepping and polishing aluminum. Also I have some No-Ox-Id for all the mating pieces. It says it's good to coat metals with this stuff and it doesn't wear off.

Polish it and apply a coat of clear. I bought some airplane aluminum polish for my vector 4000. I also did some research on prepping and polishing aluminum. Also I have some No-Ox-Id for all the mating pieces. It says it's good to coat metals with this stuff and it doesn't wear off.

Have you installed your antenna yet?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.