• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Base Station

mdavis735

Feb 12, 2011
I'm thinking about ordering a new Base. Probably ranger 2995. Where would you guys suggest I order it from? Best price and technician for expansion and alignment if needed.

My advice is to buy it from the cheapest vendor you can find that includes the e-chip. Once you get the radio, install the e-chip and call RCI and tell them it is off frequency and has a noisy receive. Tell them you think it needs a proper factory spec alignment.

They will give you a RA# to ship it to their service center. They will give it a decent factory tune. Now, your only out shipping costs one way. You'll still save money over all the other "vendor tech" suggestions that you are going to receive after this post.

That sounds like a plan m42. Is there another base out these days that would be a better radio? I mostly do some AM skip shooting and SSB talking to locals up to 50-60 miles away.

I am not really familiar with any of the other high output export bases other than the 2995. I did own a 2995 for a few months. I bought it from CBradioplus.com. I actually liked that radio, but it went down the road. I had it sent in for a factory alignment. When it came back, you could really tell the difference. I just sold or traded it off. Wasn't nothing wrong with it, I just "buy and try" a lot of different stuff.

I heard that. I'm not opposed to lower output export and amp. Only thing is the price difference I'm seeing between the 2995 and the lower output models in ranger or galaxy is $100 or less. To me it's worth the extra $100. If I could find a good icom 746 pro in the $500-$700 range i would go that route. Lol

Galaxy DX2517

I got new Galaxy DX2517 less then 4 weeks old was send to 8541 to set up works very good $425 to your door

My advice is to buy it from the cheapest vendor you can find that includes the e-chip. Once you get the radio, install the e-chip and call RCI and tell them it is off frequency and has a noisy receive. Tell them you think it needs a proper factory spec alignment.

They will give you a RA# to ship it to their service center. They will give it a decent factory tune. Now, your only out shipping costs one way. You'll still save money over all the other "vendor tech" suggestions that you are going to receive after this post.

Sorry but I would not agree with that at all. Just because you tell them YOU THINK it needs a factory spec alignment does not mean that's what they will do. If they bench test it and it's in their ballpark range then they will box it up and send it back to you.

Buy the radio from a shop that has a quality tech. When you order the radio have it converted, aligned, and tuned properly. Do this right the first time and you never have to touch the radio again. And it only gets shipped one time.

Heck just find out what shop RCI uses for factory repair work and order the darn thing from them. This way you could call them on the phone and request exactly what you want.

It worked for me and I saved some $$$. Did it 3 times. Each radio came back playing much better than it did before it left.

Edit: Let me state first. All three of these rigs were way out of spec. They were off frequency, receive had excessive noise and power levels were incorrect.

Last edited:
I guess I just have a problem with being straight up dishonest like that. What are we talking about here, saving maybe 40 bucks?

I think if he would contact say DTB Radio, Richard at 8541 Electronics, or Doug at Custom cb they could give him a price quote for out the door ready to talk. All 3 places do complete correct alignments.

I guess I just have a problem with being straight up dishonest like that. What are we talking about here, saving maybe 40 bucks?

I think if he would contact say DTB Radio, Richard at 8541 Electronics, or Doug at Custom cb they could give him a price quote for out the door ready to talk. All 3 places do complete correct alignments.

I don't think it all that dishonest.

99.9% of them will need a proper factory alignment. It's usually the manufacturer that is dishonest. They include a manual that states the radios specifications. These specifications are usually not what's claimed to be.

Abstract thinking?, Yes!

Buy a stock radio...2950, 2070 or whatever RCI product. Guaranteed, it's gonna have out of spec conditions. I feel the factory should take care of it. Why should I pay some opputunist money to make something right, when the manufacture's claims are not true. If you buy a new car are you gonna have performance issues fixed by a private shop? I'm gonna have the factory fix it.

Reactions: 1 person
I was never a fan of buying a radio, only to have it expanded, peaked and tuned by someone for a fee. I've purchased many radio's over the years and either tinkered a bit with them myself, or ran them stock with no issues.

I don't 100% trust any of the common names recommended on here and other forums. How can I actually ensure I'm getting what I pay for? People always say, so so...what's his name, will do it right. I have a very hard time believing that some of these tech's (some of which enjoy cult like status) are always taking the time to do each radio's alignment precisely. Maybe they do, but none of us are in the room looking over their shoulder.

I'm not saying the factory repair shop is any better, but if they keep getting the same radio back without a fix, they may get scrutinized by the factory. Obviously, RCI has changed it's ways. They only have one warranty repair center now.

Forum members are usually recommended a select few techs to "safely" purchase "tuned" radios from. If you do go this route and discover a problem with your radio, you'll likely be told to send it in for a warranty repair. Why don't they want try and make it right?

Back on Topic, never tried a 2995DX but I do like my 2990DX same radio but it has echo and runs 2290 pills over th2 mosfets in the 2995DX.

For now all of this was in vain. My uncle bought an icom and is giving me his Galaxy Saturn(non turbo). I am gonna save that $600-$700 for awhile and use the Saturn. I know they are in different leagues but free is free. Thanks for all the advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.