• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Base Station

I was never a fan of buying a radio, only to have it expanded, peaked and tuned by someone for a fee. I've purchased many radio's over the years and either tinkered a bit with them myself, or ran them stock with no issues.

I don't 100% trust any of the common names recommended on here and other forums. How can I actually ensure I'm getting what I pay for? People always say, so so...what's his name, will do it right. I have a very hard time believing that some of these tech's (some of which enjoy cult like status) are always taking the time to do each radio's alignment precisely. Maybe they do, but none of us are in the room looking over their shoulder.

I'm not saying the factory repair shop is any better, but if they keep getting the same radio back without a fix, they may get scrutinized by the factory. Obviously, RCI has changed it's ways. They only have one warranty repair center now.

Forum members are usually recommended a select few techs to "safely" purchase "tuned" radios from. If you do go this route and discover a problem with your radio, you'll likely be told to send it in for a warranty repair. Why don't they want try and make it right?

I do see you point and understand what your saying. Years ago there was a local radio man that had all the proper equipment, Bird, scope, signal generator, all kinds of stuff. I used to say he could tune and aligne a 2950 blindfolded. If he was still doing service work I would not hesitate to do like you said, shop for the best complete un-touched price. Then I would pay him the 45 dollars to convert and aligne the radio. He would perform the complete factory alignment procedures. Those were some of the best talking radio's I ever had.

My honest opinion...Dont get the 2995dx. I say this not because of the rig (I think they are VERY nice radios) I say this because they are too damn expensive! For another $100 or $150, you can get a used TS480HX Kenwood! They have 200watts output, Much better receiver, Excellent AM and SSB audio with Speech processor available for both AM and SSB, As well a Built in EQ settings.

On AM the carrier stays at 50 watts and the peak hits around 210 watts...Stock! The radio doesnt even get warm. The transistors have a dissipation rating of 360 watts, and will likely never fail.

This is just my two cents. I cant see paying all that money for a tri band radio that is limited in features. You might not use bands other than 11 meter....But its fun to listen at times!

I'm gonna use the free galaxy for awhile. I'm thinking about(procrastinating) getting my technician license. So in the meantime I'll study and keep researching HF rigs.

2995 is a nice radio. Bell's CB did one for me - gets great reports.

If the goal is to sound great on AM hard to beat the 2995.

That said it is expensive. Although I'd be leary about buying used ham gear, you are getting close to buying a decent new rig that can be modified to do CB.

Neither is FCC type accepted by the way . . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.