• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New CB help

jeffrice6

Jul 6, 2005
Hi all, nube here. I am looking to get a new CB radio. I am looking for a clean, loud, powerful and tough radio so I can use for off road comunication, I would like to really "get out" if ever an emergency. I have done some research and found good reviews on the GRANT xl and cobra 148, but I really have no clue. It doesent have to have ssb just the radios people said thy liked. With a peaked and tuned budget of $200 or less what radios would you all recommend with the aforementioned characteristics? I am thinking of using a Wilson trucker 2000. By ther way, what is an export radio. Hey I said I was a nube. Thanks for any help :LOL:

OFF ROADING I would go with the Magnum 257 it has a bit extra "punch" than a CB and a few extra toys :D

mag257blue7es.jpg

www.www.premiere-electronics.net/store/magnum257.html

Well, if he doesn't want SSB, that brings the potential cost down quite a bit. Look at a Uniden PC68 or PC78. Heck, even the Pro510's and 520's can sound real good. I wouldn't pay for an export or a SSB radio, if you're never going to use those features.

An export radio is essentially a bootleg CB. They usually come into the country as 10 meter ham radios, then need to be converted to be used in the CB band. They usually allow access to hundreds of unauthorized frequencies both above and below the legal 40 channels. They also usually put out about twice the power that a legal, FCC-certified CB does. Some models even have a small amplifier built in that can give them between 150 and 200 watts of power. They are usually either AM/FM only, or AM/FM/SSB/CW.

There are 2 or 3 manufacturers of these that account for 20 or 30 or more different models.

Thanks, are these Expensive to convert? I know very little about CB radios except for my stock cobra 29, I just want an affordable CB radio that I can talk along ways with, after mods.

Well then, do you all have any recommendations on a tough/reliable, clear/load export radio that can be purchased and modified for under $200. Another nube question: with these converted export radios can I still talk to my buddies on the normal 40? Not that it matters but how illegal is it. Like I stated before I want to “get out there” for trail rides and long range safty.

I just want an affordable CB radio

Export and affordable don't usually follow in the same sentence. You're better off getting a regular AM only CB, trying it out, and then getting a small amp (also not legal, btw.) Or better yet, if you're really serious about needing emergency communications, study a little and get your ham license because a CB isn't going to cut it out in the sticks. I'm a Jeep guy and like going up in the mountains and desert. It took me one trip trying to holler back to camp at my buddies (with an amp) to figure out how well a CB works for emergency communications....

Yes, the export radios do cover the regular 40 channels.

How illegal is it to talk out of band on an export radio? The FCC takes a very dim view of it, but enforcement is not very vigorous. Occasionally someone does get busted. Usually you get one freebie--A chance to stop doing it without a fine or seizure. Most fines and seizures you see in the enforcement logs are after the person was warned at least once to cease and desist. Most of those people were asking for it, running insane power, getting into ham freqs above 27.99 MHZ (10 meter ham starts at 28.00 MHZ), interfering with their neighbors' electronics and phones, and just generally being jackholes on the air. Thousands and thousands of Freebanders (users of unauthorized 11 meter frequencies) are active all over the country, indeed the whole world, and many of them are careful, don't draw attention to themselves, and will almost certainly never have a problem with the FCC. If you are running mobile, it is even less likely that anyone will ever know what you are doing, let alone care. The FCC has bigger fish to fry than Cbers running a little extra power and engaging in a little RF hopscotch in the 27 MHZ band.

www.digitallyunique.com/79290.html

792905dw.jpg

· 120-CHANNEL OPERATION WITH 40AM, 40USB & 40LSB CHANNELS
· BUILT-IN 10-CHANNEL WEATHER MONITOR THAT RECEIVES ALL US & CANADIAN CHANNELS
· BIG, BLACK MATRIX LCD DISPLAY HAS A MULTIFUNCTION READOUT THAT DISPLAYS THE FREQUENCY OR THE NUMBER OF CHANNEL BEING USED
· SHOWS 4 MEMORY CHANNELS, NOISE BLANKER, RF GAIN, WEATHER CHANNELS & A 12 SEGMENT RF OUTPUT/SIGNAL STRENGTH METER
· DUAL WATCH, CHANNEL 9 & 19 MEMORY & FULL-STAGE ESP NOISE REDUCTION FUNCTIONS
· COARSE/FINE TUNING FOR SSB & A LOCAL DX SWITCH
· FULLY-DETACHABLE FRONT PANEL
· BATTERY-POWERED MEMORY RETAINS DATA FOR UP TO 100 HOURS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.