• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New cobra 148s

Cobra is the biggest selling CB Radio in the World.. They did not achieve that by selling radios that suck..

I like the old 148 radios very well. they messed up on the latest version. just like the resister that feeds the PLL is a 1/8 watt 10 ohm and it burns up after awhile. they had to put out a service bulletin on it due to radio failures for you to go to a 1/2 watt resister. the radio would just have major failure and nothing would work.
it is just the last 148 they put out has a lot of problems.

I just think that Honda and Toyota etc have recalls as well, but I think they are still good cars. Or do they suck?

Sir,

Your Cobra 148 sucks. All new Cobra 148's suck. They will always suck. It'll even suck tomorrow and the day after that. They just plain suck.
You seem to be very ignorant.. So I will let it go at that .. If you are really a ham what is your call sign. ??

I've been licensed since 1974, I don't plaster my call on the net, on a hat, on a shirt or on my car. I'm far from ignorant.

Your the one taking it personal. When people more knowledgeable than myself tell me something sucks, I listen to them.
It's one reason why I don't own or plan to own a new Cobra 148.

I've been licensed since 1974, I don't plaster my call on the net, on a hat, on a shirt or on my car. I'm far from ignorant.

Your the one taking it personal. When people more knowledgeable than myself tell me something sucks, I listen to them.
It's on reason why I don't own or plan to own a new Cobra 148.

There is no reason not to post your call sign unless you are full of BS.. Which I think you are..

This is a forum that has many licensed operators and they all post their calls.. You are full of BS.. Go study for your exam..
Doug. N7JGN..

Mr Doug, you are entitled to post your opinion on the radio, and the other members are as well, lets stay on topic.
Call signs are not required to be a member here, no one is required to post there call unless they want to, we try to treat Radio Operators on equal ground, be it CB, Ham,FRS,GMRS, whatever.

Jeff

Cobra is the biggest selling CB Radio in the World.. They did not achieve that by selling radios that suck..

When they had Uniden building their stuff, it was hard to beat IMO.

I think their AM radios are still popular; but I cannot rightly say because I am not much of an AMer these days.

But I have worked on a few of those 148 NW/ST radios and am not at all impressed.

If yours is working and you like it - then that is all just fine 'n dandy. But if/when it fails (seen a lot of these radios fail BTW); then just know that you got your 'heads up' - is all. More failures than they should normally have - I might add . . .

Lol I forgot I posted this. Entertainment at its finest. I'm very new school. Im not even a ham yet. But I do get my kicks off tinkering with this stuff. My opinion of the 148 is that it "was" a radio for the advance hobbyist to enter in to ssb. What I noticed with the new ones is, ANY thing goes wrong the whole system goes down hill. It's got pretty clean modulation.. I guess, but imo if your going to make an "experimenter" radio you should probably use 1/4 watt resistors at least.. I put them in all final sections to my radios.. I can't say that it's garbage but it's definitely on my bench to extremely mess with. I've excepted I made a poor choice buying it.. I'm thinking about attempting building a external modulator for it. Has anyone ever done that before?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.