• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Cobra 29er tuning

PLUMMER

Sep 10, 2012
Michigan
Want to clean up a new cobra 29 sound quality and power. I read several threads here about 40 watt this and 50 watt here toos. Which interests me, but my concern is sound quality.
I like both the lx and the NW just for use in the dark. I plan on using this in my work van here in south eastern MI.
I would do the mods myself if it's possible to do without all kinds of expensive bench scopes, but rather would have it done by a trust worthy pro. I read the plan here but it's from many moons ago, is it still the best method. I don't See many shops even offering the 2sc1969 anymore. Is there a better more up to date list of parts for a new 29er, or is the old thread list still good.
I also am not opposed to purchasing a turnkey unit, in fact I would prefer this, but Weeding thru all the hype out there trying to find a good tuner is difficult, when I obviously know nothing about this field.
It seems every CB shop site I goto is so dated, or bad mouthing every other shop and their way is always the best........
I have done plenty of soldering, think it would be fun to do, but in the end I want to sound good, not irritating. Meaning I dont need the 40 watts max power, I would like a non splatter clean sounding unit. If this means just a proper tune on a stock radio and proper stick then thats fine.....
Thanks for your time

Howdy. The 40~50W thing out of a transistor final Cobra is just fantasy unicorn shittalk. You can convert to a Mosfet final and get a little more power but it hardly seems worth it.

Much better punch is to add on the RFX 75 or whatever it's called external 1 pill unit. Bolts onto the back. That will give your around 90 watts.

But again.....why jack up a lousy Cobra 29? Get an Export radio and get all the bells and whistles already there.

Good luck

Last edited:
Your new Cobra 29 ALREADY has a mosfet final, as do all new radio's. That's why you don't see much of 1969 mods anymore, that final is no longer in production.

You have many options for your radio from a simple basic peak and tune on up to adding the RFX-75 unit on the back for 100-115 watts. It all depends on what you want to spend.

Your new radio might be a surface mount board as well. If it is make sure you have a qualified tech work on it. To be honest I would send it to either DTB radio, a forum member. Or this guy.

Custom CB radios

By the way, 40-50 watts can and has been done by many good techs, I would rather just get an amplifier and be happy with 20-30 watts.

Much appreciate the replies , gentlemen. Yah I'm not interested in gimmick claims nor do I need the RFX. ( idon't think, don't know much other than the 75-100w they provide) Do I need to talk that far???

Having a clean sound is most important. I guess I am learning what the stock LX will do in my area = burbs north of Detroit. Do a bit of highway travel and the CB has saved me quite a few tickets and unpleasant meetings with DOT. I've read soo many different things on the 29er, and thats why I'm here to hopefully get an accurate recipe. Alot are talking the IFR520 but I have 69's and the Eleflow versions of the 69's which put out 12% more than a original Mitsu69 and these don't get nearly as hot or drop off as temp increases. But what really can you get and stay clean without splatter. Any links to directions,plans?

I will check into those links, appreciate a 1st hand referral. For this radio, since it will jump from rig to rig, I'd like to keep it under 200.00. When I finally figure this out and what suits me, I will have an idea for a nice unit. Thanks

Much appreciate the replies , gentlemen. Yah I'm not interested in gimmick claims nor do I need the RFX. ( idon't think, don't know much other than the 75-100w they provide) Do I need to talk that far???

Having a clean sound is most important. I guess I am learning what the stock LX will do in my area = burbs north of Detroit. Do a bit of highway travel and the CB has saved me quite a few tickets and unpleasant meetings with DOT. I've read soo many different things on the 29er, and thats why I'm here to hopefully get an accurate recipe. Alot are talking the IFR520 but I have 69's and the Eleflow versions of the 69's which put out 12% more than a original Mitsu69 and these don't get nearly as hot or drop off as temp increases. But what really can you get and stay clean without splatter. Any links to directions,plans?

I will check into those links, appreciate a 1st hand referral. For this radio, since it will jump from rig to rig, I'd like to keep it under 200.00. When I finally figure this out and what suits me, I will have an idea for a nice unit. Thanks

If you don't want to splatter just buy the cheapest piece of crap radio you can afford and leave the limiter in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.