• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new guy here wondering about radios

aggie sig

Nov 2, 2010
I've been looking at radios recently I'll probably have my technicians license by the end of the year, and I've started looking at radios mostly thinking about mobiles in my jeep (I'm roofless about 25% of the time if that matters I think I would like the versatility of an all band, here's what I've got:

There is an icom 706mkIIg at a local Ham shop used for $725

I've compared it to the Icom7000 which is dead sexy, but expensive and I figure is too much for a newbie like me

Now do I really need an all bander? or will something like a Yeasu 2900, only 2M but pretty powerful and simple let me talk to anyone and everyone via repeaters in my area? Then later on once I figure some things out I can get a high dollar base station.

Thanks for your input

Staying with VHF / UHF is pretty simple. When you go HF below 10 meters, things get kinda complicated quickly, and antennas get BIG!

My advice, start small.

choose your radio wisely

I took my IC-7000 out of my Jeep when I discovered how easy it is to break in when the soft top is on.

Space is hard to find in a Jeep, make sure your radio covers all your needs.

I assume you do some off roading there in Texas? A lot of off road enthusiast are not amateur radio ops so they use a CB.

So multiple radios plus all your off road gear and your ride along friends and preferred beverages takes up space quick. You have to be smart about what is taking up that space.

A good radio which can be had cheap is the Yaesu 857D, take a look at them

choose your radio wisely

I took my IC-7000 out of my Jeep when I discovered how easy it is to break in when the soft top is on.

Space is hard to find in a Jeep, make sure your radio covers all your needs.

I assume you do some off roading there in Texas? A lot of off road enthusiast are not amateur radio ops so they use a CB.

So multiple radios plus all your off road gear and your ride along friends and preferred beverages takes up space quick. You have to be smart about what is taking up that space.

A good radio which can be had cheap is the Yaesu 857D, take a look at them

I have an antique 1951 M38 Jeep. Everything works but it is basically retired from offroading (I occasionally use it to get out from my house in the snow). I'm going to fabricate a box, similar to an ammo box and put my 706MK in that, remoting the head up front. IOW, try to make it look like the original military radio. It will be bolted to the rear fender tray inside the rear area, small holes drilled to the inside of the box (so rain won't get in when the top's off), and carriage bolts securing the box to the fender. I don't think someone would have much luck "jimmying" that. OF course, when I park the Jeep, I'll just take the control head with me!

To ME, I would go ahead and get the 706. You won't LOSE anything by it and you will have about everything thing you need WRT radio when you are ready to upgrade. They aren't that hard to learn to use.

CWM

a couple of my thoughts,....

you can get a MUCH lower price on the 706 mk II, check places like QTH.COM (ka9fox). QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line there is one there right now for about $100 cheaper. stay away from e-pay (YMMV):whistle:.

as far as 2m/440 is concerned:
the ft 2900 is a good selection, i think they are about $170 + or -

if you can find a used (or NOS) FT2800M , they are pretty much the same rig. i think there is about 15 watts difference in the output.

also,...... i would REALLY consider waiting and following the chinese WOXOUN (spelling error?) .. they are supposed to be having a TRUE dual bander mobile (NOT the handie squakie) coming out soon and the price should be close to the FT2900.

the MKII G is a good first rig, and it also has HF, soooooooo

good luck on your test

Hi...

Keep on track to learning and get your ticket..

As to what radio to get..
Well..i Got my 706 MKIIG before i even had gotten my ticket
( as a way to see or rather listen in on) ham radio,as i used my modded 706 MKIIG for 11 meters..

Then once i did get my ticket...i easily had a decent radio as a tech for vhf/uhf..

You can't go wrong with a 706..
As soon as the IC7000 was out i picked it up
(not a bad lil radio)..

That 857D is a decent radio as well..

However...

All you need is a decent dual bander..which you can by new for much less then a used 706 (even cheeper of course if you by it used as well.

However it seems you likely want 11 meters with the ability to use vhf/uhf when licensed..
Even though the 706 will easily fill both..
you do technically put your license at risk..if you use the 706 on 11 meters (i didn't give it a 2ed thought since i am not then or now into crazy amps)

If you do chose a radio like the 706 i am sure you can find a much better price on it

Do you really -need- an 'all-band' radio? No. If you aren't interested in doing all bands then you certainly don't have to have a radio that 'does' all of them. But, if there's not all that much difference in price, then why not, you know?
As for which make/model of radio, it's exactly like cars. Which do you like the best, has the features you just can't 'live' without, and what can your wallet stand without a trip to the bank?
New/used? Just depends on what you want, what kind'a shape it's in, and so on. The best vehicle I've ever owned was 'used'. But then, there was no warranty so everything came out of my pocket. There are 'pros'/'cons' with everything, pick the one you can live with easiest.
The best advice I've seen so far was get that license! That really is a biggy, so doing it first is a pretty good idea. The way licensing is structured right now, if you want one, it only takes some effort and some studying (memorizing), so just do it! And don't quit, get all of them. Each class has just a few more privileges, why limit yourself if you don't have to?
Something else that's nice is to sit in front of every radio you can find, see how it 'acts', twiddle the knobs, etc. You'll find that one of all those radios just seems to 'fit' you better than the others. That little piece of advice is the hardest of anything suggested so far! But finding that out before spending any money is always better than after you've spent it. (I wish I could follow my own advice about that, but...)
Go for it!
- 'Doc

I have a Jeep that I use for off-roading also. Most of the places I go to have NO cell coverage, so an all band is important to me. As Happy_Hamer said, many other Jeepsters don't have their license so you will need a CB also...it's what they all have. What do you do with your Jeep?

With an Icom IC-706MkIIG you will certainly have the ability to work any band (or mode) that you so desire. HF antennas can get expensive and large, but a simple hamstick will work fine too (one band at a time) on HF. As was mentioned before, the Yaesu FT-857D is also good and I have talked to alot of people using them. They seem to like the radio and everyone I have heard sounded very good.

Something to watch if you are considering buying a used IC-706MkIIG is that the finals for the version produced prior to 2004 are no longer available. If you are buying used, look for serial numbers that start with 15 (or higher). These radios have the newer RD70HV finals where the older versions (serial numbers starting with a zero) used the J7044 finals which are no longer produced.

My 706MkIIG is the older version which I bought in 2002. It gets pretty much use and it has been working fine. I just wouldn't try to squeeze any higher wattage out of it and I make sure the antennas are a good match.

I have a Jeep that I use for off-roading also. Most of the places I go to have NO cell coverage, so an all band is important to me. As Happy_Hamer said, many other Jeepsters don't have their license so you will need a CB also...it's what they all have. What do you do with your Jeep?

I've been using a cobra 29 for about a year now, and to be honest in the long run I would probably eventually expand an all bander to transmit/receive on 11 meter.

I'm going to do all 3 of the licenses, mainly because I'm really interested in all this stuff it's entertaining.

The reason I would like to get a HAM is that I don't really rock crawl but I do go camping in remote areas, parts of Big Bend Ranch State Park are listed as days away from emergency assistance that's even further complicated if it's a 20 mile hike in 120 degree heat to get to the rangers station to tell them I'm screwed...

I figure with an all bander I could try to hit on all sorts of different frequencies even if I make a contact with someone in Ohio or Canada, I can have them call the nearest rangers station and tell them I'm dead at X mile marker on Y trail.

It sounds like you're doing the same thing I do...camping in remote and often HOT places. I think you'll want to make an investment in a good all-mode, all-band radio and good antenna, and probably even spend money on a good HF amp at some point. The price seems expensive at first, but the first time you're out there and attempt to call someone you hear and they answer back, you'll realize why you spent the money.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.