• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham and Loving It

Sniper308

Mar 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Guess I've been a general class ham for a bit over a month now. As soon as I got my license I came here and asked for advice on a starter radio. Someone suggested an ICOM dual band 2820 mobile which I used as a base radio for a few weeks. I love the 2m band and it really spiked my interest in ham radio. The 2m band is very active in my area and there are many repeaters I can easily reach.

A couple of weeks after purchasing this first radio I decided I wanted to try HF bands. Again I asked around and it was suggested to start out with a Yaesu 897d. I went to the Shelby hamfest in search of one but could not locate one at the hamfest. I did find a ICOM IC-7000 with an LDG tuner made for the radio with the separation kit and a G5RV dipole as a bundle. I jumped on it and haven't looked back since. The 2820 was moved to my truck and matched with an OPEK dual band antenna which works well. Im loving the 2m in my vehicle as it greatly expands my talk time.

Ive used the IC-7000 for a few weeks now and I must say it is a lot of radio in a very small package. I don't think I could ask for anything more at my current level of expertise in this hobby. Im not a big fan of the G5RV dipole antenna though. It receives well but dosent seem to get out as well as I would like. It is set up roughly 30 ft. in the air with the leads in an inverted V pattern.

I have ordered a Zero-Five 36' vertical antenna and received tracking info today telling me it will be delivered tomorrow (Friday) just in time for the weekend. I have already dug the mounting pipe hole, poured the concrete, and driven the grounding rod in to the ground. Im hoping the antenna will perform better than the G5RV that I am using now. Tom the ownder of Zero-Five antennas has been a joy to deal with and helped greatly with questions and concerns . If his antenna performs half as well as his customer support I'll be in ham hog heaven by this weekend.

So far my ham experience has been superb. I am really enjoying the hobby. I feel like I have some really nice equipment and am learning more and more about the hobby every day. I don't know why it took me so long to make the switch from CB to ham. No real point to this thread except to share my recent experiences. I am excited about getting this new antenna as EVERY review over at Eham.net has been a 5 out of 5 on this antenna. Does anyone here have any experience with the Zero-Five 36' Stealth HOA non radial antenna??? If so Id love to hear any complaints, praises, or just plain advice.

Im wondering what type of contacts I can expect from the 7000 (100w max output) and the new vertical antenna. I know range is affected by many variables such as weather, solar activity, band/frequency, line of sight, etc. Should I expect to be able to contact other countries? Other States? I just don't have enough experience to really know what to expect. What type of power is required to work the world? Full legal limit?

The HF bands are alot of fun !!If you are wanting international DX 15,17 and 20 meters are a pretty good place to start. I generally hang out on 17 and make alot of contacts all over the states and when the band is right Europe is very easy with just 100 watts and a off center fed windom.You dont need 1500 watts to work the world....I have worked all over the world with 100 watts without much trouble

I hit Slovenia and Italy the other day .....

80 meters is good for regional contacts out to about 700 miles,40 meters is about like 80 ,and world wide contacts are also possable when conditions allow ......

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the HF bands.....just hang in there and you will be wondering why ya didnt get your ticket before now !!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The G5RV is not a bad antenna but not an overly good one either. Its best performance is on 20 meters. That being said it will however work better then the other antenna you mentioned. The G5 is more horz and that is always better hf work.

Welcome to Ham Radio and hf work, I worked several stations in Europe on my way home tonight.

Good to hear you're enjoying the hobby. yes after becoming a ham you may ask why you ever stuck with CB for so long. i know I did. But I still enjoy CB too.

Reactions: 1 person
I have ordered a Zero-Five 36' vertical antenna and received tracking info today telling me it will be delivered tomorrow (Friday) just in time for the weekend. I have already dug the mounting pipe hole, poured the concrete, and driven the grounding rod in to the ground. Im hoping the antenna will perform better than the G5RV that I am using now. Tom the ownder of Zero-Five antennas has been a joy to deal with and helped greatly with questions and concerns . If his antenna performs half as well as his customer support I'll be in ham hog heaven by this weekend.

You will enjoy that Zero-Five vertical antenna. And you are right about Tom being a good guy to deal with. I have a 43 foot 10-160 meter multiband that I installed about three years ago. I am very pleased with the results. With it and a 160 meter dipole I can cover all of the HF bands.

If you run into any problems, give Tom a call and I'm sure he will give you some suggestions to help you out.

If you keep that 7000 you need to get the microphone modified by Bob Nagy. Best money you would ever spend on 7000. Did you ask the previous owner if the modification has been done? PM me if you have questions 73

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

You will enjoy the vertical.

It will work great on 40, 20 and 15 meters. On 12 meters and up it will start to have a high angle of radiation.

A fan dipole and that vertical will be a great starter antenna farm.

A 4 bander 10/12/17/20 meter will give you the higher HF bands.

A second fan dipole for 40/80/160 will cover the lower bands.

Enjoy the contacts and have fun.

17 meters is a great place to work the world with 100 watts.

Ok. I received the new antenna Friday afternoon. By 10am Saturday morning it was up and running. I must say I am really impressed with the construction of the FiveZero antenna. It is made of heavy gage materials and its design is well built. I look forward to years of service from this antenna.

I am also very pleased with the performance of the antenna. I have worked on 60,40, 20, and 17 meters. With the tuner all SWR on any band I have tried so far is below 1.5 to 1 and most are 1 to 1. I have made contact with Crawford County Arkansas, Southern Alabama, Asheville NC, and my furthest contact to date London England. The guy in London was talking about some festival coming up called London Japan at Traflgar Square in a few weeks. Was a blast talking to him.

So far I am totally psyched. I just cant believe how well this radio and antenna combination seem to be working. Looking forward for chatter to pick up later tonight. I need a log book now lol.

Last edited:
At least wrap the connector with Scotch 33 Electrical Tape. Wrap it from top to at least 1 inch below the PL259, wrapping from the bottom up so the overlap does not allow mositure in.

Hope to hear you on 40, 20 or 17 Meters sometime. I use an IC7000 with a 80 Meter OCF antenna.

Welcome to the HF bands. 40 is my favorite band for night time DX.

Mike

At least wrap the connector with Scotch 33 Electrical Tape. Wrap it from top to at least 1 inch below the PL259, wrapping from the bottom up so the overlap does not allow mositure in.

Hope to hear you on 40, 20 or 17 Meters sometime. I use an IC7000 with a 80 Meter OCF antenna.

Welcome to the HF bands. 40 is my favorite band for night time DX.

Mike
I will look for you guys on 40

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.