• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New here - in need to Base Station!

HeloThunder

Nov 15, 2010
Hey all, nice to meet you guys..been a while since i tinkered around with cb radio, got rid of all of my equipment about 10 years ago when i moved. I really want to get back into it. To me it was such a great hobby, met a lot of cool people, learned a lot. Miss it.

So, with that said, i am in the market for a base station, i really love the vintage ones, the bigger and heavier, the better. But begger's can't be choosers i guess, so if any of you guys have one laying around in the attic, garage or basement collecting dust, let me know! we can work out a price.

-Frankie.

welcome to the forum!

we have a for sale section where members will advertise the equipment they have for sale.
that will be your best bet for finding a radio here on the forum.

ebay also has lots of CB radios for sale, but beware that people often unload basket case radios there under the guise of "i have no way to test it so its being sold as is".

your local craigslist might also be worth checking, as well as garage sales and thrift stores in your area.

the best piece of advice i could give you at this point would be to set aside some time and do some serious google searching.
try to remember the names of some of your favorite older radios and do a search on them.

that will lead you to all kinds of info, good and bad, about the radios you are considering.
you really want to be an informed buyer in this hobby.

you have found what i consider to be one of the best radio forums on the internet, and you can trust the answers you will get here, as BS is usually quickly dispelled. (usually, LOL)

one other thing you should know if you are an old radio lover, is that most old radios are on their last legs if they havent had any sort of restoration done, and unless you do your own repair work, or dont mind spending the money to have a shop work on them for you; you can end up very frustrated with your "new" purchase.

i always use the old car analogy. owning a classic car is awesome, but without knowledge, tools, and money, you're just going to have something taking up space in your garage.

the world has changed a lot since the hay days of CB, and there are many new sources of interference out there.

many are the radio nuts who set up a new CB base station after 20 years off the air only to find out that all the new electronics in their, and their neighbors' homes have conspired to make radio fun impossible.

that is not to say that CB is dead, far from it. there are many of us still out there on the air, and while you may find that your particular city is nothing but dead air; the sunspots are on the rise and there will be plenty of DX fun to be had.

so, the bug has bitten you, and before you start spending money, the time spent bringing yourself current with the state of this hobby will pay for itself many times over.

best of luck to you, and feel free to bring any questions that arise to the forum for help.
LC

Thanks for the replay cannon. Back in the day ( 10-11) years ago, i used to be in a cb club.

Every night we would gather on channel 14 and talk about anything, from our love lives to work, the latest radio/ antenna, etc that we just got. Always had fun and we would help each other out with equipment, or if we needed a hand putting up that new antenna in the backyard.

I used too have so much stuff, i really really wish i kept it all. Especially after seeing what the equipment goes for these days. I have checked ebay earlier today and some really sweet deals. But as you said, most of them say "they have no way to test it", or it was from an estate sale and being sold "as-is".

I am actually hoping i sell a couple of metal detectors that i do not use anymore and put that money towards it. I have them on craigs list right now and i will try to keep you posted if and when i get one before Christmas.

I had a couple of models in mine

Teaberry
Any base station from the president series.
Lafayette
royce
johnson messenger.

I think i have around $100 to spend, then i need to get an swr meter, coax, and most importantly, an antenna. Then i can start from there. I'd really love to have a T stalker, or older 23 channel lafayette.

i also found this cb base station, lafeyette telsat ssb140 i think im going to give her a call tomorrow after work, a really great deal, and almost everything i need to get started.

I have a Gemtronics gtx3000 if you're interested in a great 23 channel base model radio.

Shoot me a pm for details.

Gemtronics%20GTX3000.jpg

hi

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I really appreciate it. I have responded to some of you in private message, forgive me if i do not respond right away.

I work most days and usually don't get online until late in the evening, or early morning. i am really excited about getting back into this. I don't get much time to do anything, with work and a one year old, it will be nice to get back into a hobby i loved and enjoyed.

What kind of detectors. Thats my other hobby. I have a minelab sovereign,white mtx,and a troy shadow x2.

Bounty Hunter lone star and a famous trails advanced model, both really accurate, reliable and never had any problems with either one

welcome to the fourm
when lookuing for coax/antenna/swr meter
i go 2 customcbradios.com i gotta swr meter from there
called vanco seems very good and wont break the bank
but only does swr.what id do is put a cb in your vehicle
to see if ya have any locals still on the radio .if so maybe
they might some stuff forsale.good luck in want you do

Just wanted to say, that it is important to get a decent antenna from the git-go. A used AM/SSB radio can be had for $80-140; But the antenna you get will make a huge difference. I would get a used 5/8 wave ground plane antenna like the Maco V58 or Workman W58 (same thing). Or a used IMAX 2000 if you can find one.

Buy some mini-8 coax - new - BTW.
This way you won't need to upgrade.

Just a reminder . . .

There are lots of old base radios still around. Check your local Craigslist listings, pawn shops, flea markets, and CB operators in your area.

An excellent source for old CBs are at amateur radio "hamfests" where radio operators come together to buy and sell. Check American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources to see if one is upcoming in your area. Picked up my like new 1975 Pearce-Simpson Bengal SSB 23 channel base with Turner +3 desk mic for $2 at one earlier this year. Base CBs are usually sitting everywhere at these for a few bucks each.

Also put out a call on Ch 19 in your area asking if anyone has a cheap base for sale. People advertise used radios on the CB all the time around here.

You'll find one pretty quick. Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.