• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New here

khayman669

Oct 4, 2012
Denver
Hello all. I havent been on the CB since the early/mid 90s, but recently have gotten the itch again. Was doing some research, stumbled across this forum, and well here i am :D
I used to have a lot of decent stuff, but got rid of it all a long time ago, which im now kicking myself for. I live in the Denver area and it was always a lot of fun around here on the radio.
Anyways just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Ive got a lot to relearn so ill be reading a lot here.

Welcome, khayman669! Great forum here with tons of honest opinions. Have you picked out your setup yet?

RT307

After being away from cb since the late 70's, I've also decided to jump back in. Started to get that itch about a year ago. This is a great place to jump back in. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Welcome back to the world of radio and welcome to the board!!

You will find a wealth of great information packed away in this forum.

Also there are folks here that are strictly into CB,aome strictly into ham radio and some that are into both...we dont try to knock anyone for whatever service they choose and freely share information across both services...and have a good number of shortwave listeners and scanner listeners as well.

Feel free to have a look around and post anywhere you have access to and remember,the only stupid questions are the ones ya dont ask !!

Good to have ya with us !!

Welcome, khayman669! Great forum here with tons of honest opinions. Have you picked out your setup yet?

RT307

I have not yet, and honestly its still probably gonna be a while before i set anything up since me and the wife are in an apartment at the moment. Dont really wanna deal with the hassle of doing an apartment setup. So for now ill just read up and be on the lookout for deals.

The most notable gear i used to have included the following:

Cobra 148 gtl
President HR2510 (right now i hate myself for getting rid of....best radio i had)
RCI 2950
Galaxy Pluto
Cobra 2000
Cobra 142
A99 base antenna
Sigma 4 base antenna
D104 "Night Eagle"
I was never big into running power, but i did have a few linears. My best being an old tube linear that would output around 800w or so.

My handle was "Rocker" from the old AC/DC song of the same name, and in "skipland" i was Skywriter 788....from the old Skywriter II DX club that was based out of St Augustine Florida.

I look forward to being a part of the forum here :)

Also there are folks here that are strictly into CB,aome strictly into ham radio and some that are into both...we dont try to knock anyone for whatever service they choose and freely share information across both services...and have a good number of shortwave listeners and scanner listeners as well.

I had thought about getting my ham ticket back in the day, but the morse code was my downfall on that. Now seeing they got rid of that requirement i may pursue that again. Another thought ive had is getting a multi band receiver and just listening to a little of everything. But for now its just getting back in the swing of things :)

khman,

Glad to have you back in the hobby. I was in the same boat you were in, just got back into CB's after all my stuff got swiped in '91. Used to talk DX to some guys in St. Augustine Florida back in the late '80's on a regular basis and up in PA aroung 3 mile island.

Take your time and pick out some good equip. and have fun. Things have changed a lot over the last 20 years, but some have not.

I had thought about getting my ham ticket back in the day, but the morse code was my downfall on that. Now seeing they got rid of that requirement i may pursue that again. Another thought ive had is getting a multi band receiver and just listening to a little of everything. But for now its just getting back in the swing of things :)

Don't waste your time. Ham is a joke..... Just sayin.......

I enjoy HAM and CB both..

The real joke is when the haters can't talk, and only CW will save there arrogant butts, but they won't know how to send a simple..

DIT DIT DIT DAH DAH DAH DIT DIT DIT!

Much less there position or grid..

Then they will wish they would of at least learned it even of they didn't use it, or even like it...

Well.. If they ever figure out HAM and CB both have their respective advantages.. They will see both sides can be a lot of fun...

I encourage everyone to try both, no matter if you choose one over the other in the end, learn CW using the Koch method.. You won't regret it!

73,s

Radio is Radio.
Some are Happy with 40 channels and 2 modes of operation, AM and SSB.
Some like to take it a step further and have many bands and many modes of operation, FM,AM,SSB,Digital,APRS, the list goes on.
It also allows you much more freedom to experiment with bands that do not require 36' foot full wave antennas.

You get out of the hobby what you put into it, so from you post I would guess you wasted your time studying for, and taking the Test.
Must not be much VHF/UHF activity around Waterloo, or you just don`t like HF Hey Eric?
True, this is the CB radio section, but people that like to play the Ham Vers CB card don`t fair well here.
I have had my ticket since 1994, I enjoy many forms of radio, it is one of the reasons I devote a considerable amount of time to this forum in particular, because It has always embraced all types of radio not just one.

Jeff

Last edited:
True, this is the CB radio section, but people that like to play the Ham Vers CB card don`t fair well here.
I have had my ticket since 1994, I enjoy many forms of radio, it is one of the reasons I devote a considerable amount of time to this forum in particular, because It has always embraced all types of radio not just one.

Jeff

This is the exact reason i chose to participate in this forum as opposed to others. Most of the other forums i found that dealt with both forms of radio always turned into the argument of CB v Ham, and honestly it got old reading that garbage quick. Like you said, radio is radio. Room enough for everyones varied interests and opinions :)

Hey i just stated my opinion here. Don't like what i say don't read it. I know a few of you hate my guts for what i say but i dont really care, LOLOLOL.. I got into ham radio, passing both the tech and general written as well as the code only to find that most ops are NOT welcoming to a new ham. Nothing like going to a local ham club meeting only to be critisized for having a CB radio antenna and a radio in my vehicle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.