• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New house set up of boat anchor radios

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
A few weeks back I said I was going to move some equipment in the house to work on radios in spare time so I do not have to burn electricity in the shop. Well I did that. Then I got to thinking. I want to start a old radio collection and talk on them.
So I now have part of my collection in the house.

And they are Swans!
Swans are another passion of mine. I love the old radios and the Siltronix also.
Left to right in the pics are as followed.
350, 500, 500 CX The 2 amaller rigs are a Yaesu 757 and a Kenwood TS430.

index.php

The white table on the left is my repair area for now. Still have a few more pieces of gear to bring in and set up.
index.php

I am only running dipoles laying on the roof for now. 20, 40 80 merter dipoles.
And a radio for each band.
I have not had many radios in the house for years so cant do a full blown man cave...yet. Got to break it to the wife slowly.
Been having a blast on 40 meters lately. And getting some decent reports. Just starting to find out how many folks are running these old rigs.
I still have a few more rigs to move in. Just have to get another bench top to put them , TS-520, FT-101's, and my old cleggs.

If someone want to catch me on the air and like to know what frequecy I am on, just sit tight, I will be drifting by shortly......:LOL:

My first rig, as a novice, was Swan 350. I bought off a CB'er. The power has burned up. Fun rebuilding as a novice.
Rich

Very nice, "Old School" ham'n. it's still lots of fun. great collection, I learned to drive with no power steering, no power brakes , and learned to track on a
1011d. keep up the good work!

My first rig, as a novice, was Swan 350. I bought off a CB'er. The power has burned up. Fun rebuilding as a novice.
Rich

I find them a pleasure to work on. Very simple design. Parts can be a problem to get but other than that no problem. My first ham rim was an Atlas.

Very nice, "Old School" ham'n. it's still lots of fun. great collection, I learned to drive with no power steering, no power brakes , and learned to track on a
1011d. keep up the good work!

I love the old stuff. I have a few more to restore and get on the air. I have 2 Heath Apache's I have to get around to sometime. Still need to get a matching Mohawk receiver for it.

Seems I am the only one in the area that works on the older stuff. Don't get much time to work on my own rigs with the amount of works I have lined up in the shop. Working on a Yaesu FT-401B for a guy in TN at the moment. Man that thing is a classic...

SWAN

I had a SWAN I think it was a 270, I used it on ADAK ISLAND for a year or so, I was the DX, and drifted around all the time, boy they loved to chase me for that one.

DOCTOR/795

I had a SWAN I think it was a 270, I used it on ADAK ISLAND for a year or so, I was the DX, and drifted around all the time, boy they loved to chase me for that one.

DOCTOR/795

That was probably was some good DX lol. I hear the 270 was very bad on the drift. I worked a guy on 40 the other night running a 350 like myself. Neither of the 2 of us touched the VFO. At least I did not. Although I have not done much to my 350 it seems pretty stable after warm up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.