• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New MFJ 8 Band Vertical Portable Antenna

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I just got this press release on an interesting new portable HF antenna from MFJ called the MFJ-2286 "Big Stick". Based on the description and picture, this might be a great solution for RVers and campers, and a perfect solution for backpackers and SOTA enthusiasts.

Here is the press release:

MFJ “Big Stick” 8-Band Vertical Antenna

MFJ-2286, $99.95

For Top Portable Performance, Carry a "Big Stick"!

Like our Big Ear, this portable mono-pole features MFJ's rugged 17’ stainless-steel collapsible whip paired with an adjustable high-Q air-wound coil.

Efficiency matters, so it's not surprising this winning combination stands head and shoulders above shorter backpack antennas.

Consider these features:

True Backpack Portability: Antenna is over 18 feet long fully extended, but disassembles and collapses to 28” in seconds. Fits into most any size packs!
Light Weight: Just over 2 lbs., you'll hardly know your packing it!!!
Versatile: Includes MFJ-342T pipe mount -- quickly and easily mounts to a 1/4 or 1/2 inch pipe or mast. SO-239 with lock washer feeds coax underneath the 3/8-24 connector.
General Coverage: Tapped loading coil covers 7.0-55.0 MHz without gaps. Great for Ham Bands and outstanding for image-free shortwave broadcast!
Rugged Construction: All aluminum, stainless steel construction ensures years of excellent performance. One Killowatt rated components guarantee electrical safety.
Counterpoise kit included: Ensures low SWR, high efficiency, maximum site safety.
BigStickTM is for the Ham radio operator on the move and on-the-go and hungry for the next great QSO anywhere or anytime!

MFJ-2286 is protected by MFJ’s famous NoMatterWhatTM one year limited warranty. MFJ will repair or replace (at our option) your MFJ antenna no matter what for one complete year.

To order, receive a free catalog, or for your nearest dealer, call
1-800-647-1800; or write to: MFJ, 300 Industrial Park Road, Starkville, MS 39759; or go online: http://www.mfjenterprises.com; or fax to: 1-662-323-6551.

moleculo-albums-miscellaneous-picture3100-mfj-2286-bigstick-vertical.jpg

Do you know if the coil can be purchased separately?

One of the good things about the MFJ companies is that they generally sell the parts for just about all of their products. If you look at the manual, they usually have the part numbers in the back. If it's not listed online, you can call or email them and they'll give you the price. So, if you like the coil and want to homebrew something using it, you are probably in luck.

I have one being shipped to me right now. Will use ground mounted with 16 ground radials. Looking forward to it, should be on the air in the next few weeks from Arizona HOA. 73 David K1WJ

Post some pics of the antenna installed if you can, this antenna interests me!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.