• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New not so proud owner of an IC-7000

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
Got a mint condition ic-7k opened it up and the damn thing is deaf on 2 meters! Just thought I would vent here. I am sooooooooo not happy. Past owner doesn't even reply to emails!!!!!!!!!
AAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!

I think its hooked up right as I don't think I can match up and talk with a dual band antenna on 160. Yup everything is hooked up right. Even with the pre amp on I receive my 50 watt rig at half scale. 440 works great and that uses the same antenna connector. SUX!

ANOTHER SATISFIED ICOM CUSTOMER!! :LOL: This company just is not doing so well. I own one Icom but it was tken in on trade and its a 2 meter rig I have several radios and out of all only one says Icom and stays in its box.

ANOTHER SATISFIED ICOM CUSTOMER!! :LOL: This company just is not doing so well. I own one Icom but it was tken in on trade and its a 2 meter rig I have several radios and out of all only one says Icom and stays in its box.

This is not a known problem with these rigs. I bet the owner suspected there was a problem and "forgot" to tell me. The IC-7000 is a great radio with a ton of features. I really love it.

You make it sound like Icom is ridden with problems but such is not the case. I don't know what your problem is with Icom but i'll bet it is no different than my problem with Yaesu, or some else's problem with Kenwood or Ten-Tec or anyone else.I have owned several pieces of Icom gear and the only problem I had was a blown VHF output module in a 2m radio. That ended up being a known issue and was traced to a faulty application of silicone heat sink compound when the O/P module was installed. Icom fixed it up free of charge even though the basic warranty had expired. They didn't expect one to last as long as it did I guess.

This is not a known problem with these rigs. I bet the owner suspected there was a problem and "forgot" to tell me. The IC-7000 is a great radio with a ton of features. I really love it.

I agree with you. This sounds like a case of you being screwed over and has nothing to do with a poor product. My guess is the previous owner did something stupid and fried the radio. Since he screwed you on the deal it would appear he has no morals and probably no intelligence to go along with it thus frying the radio.

Thats not the only thing. The ad even said it came from his smoke free shack. I opened the box and the cigarette smell filled the shack like an ash tray! Every time the fan kicks in I am reminded of the old bar days when New Yorkers were allowed to smoke in bars. I am gonna either sell it or restore it myself. I have 2 weeks off to scrub down the innards to get the tar off the boards before I have to go back to work. Unfortunately I will never get what I paid unless it is 100 percent working. Thats enough of my wining!!

IC7000

OK FD...lets try the following

You say all works except 2 meters.
1. Look on your schematic for the 2 meter area and board
2. find a light and magnifying glass
3. find a pencil with rubber tip
4. Go over that board looking for a broken wire, broken component
Obvious if you find something broken resolder it or if you are unsure of soldering find someone at the radio club or someone you know who can solder.
5. Nothing found....next step
6. Tap with the rubber eraser on the pencil very lightly on the board to make sure it is connected to the main board ..it might and I say might have become slightly loose on shipping.
7. turn the radio on to see if any of this helped to have the radio come alive.
8. Search Google or eham or qrz.com for the IC7000 2 meter problems..perhaps someone else has had the same problem.
9. That is all I can think of at the moment....it will cost you heavy to get fixed $150 to $200 from any place.
10. Last resort call ICOM and tell the techs 2 mtrs quit, any suggestions....I wouldnt mention bought 2nd hand......

Hope this helps

DOCTOR/795

You can join the Yahoo group for the Icom 7000, there are tons of resources there and you can post a question to thousands of 7K owners who might have had the same problem and know a fix.

Check it out,
AP

Just call and send it to ICOM, they are very reasonable and because it is a current model, may warranty the work, it doesn't hurt to try

FD I had that happen a few times with smoke smell!! We are not smokers and when I open a radio and within a few minutes the living room smells like a bar Im thinking someone was indeed a smoker and maybe fibbing!!

I would just shake my head and tell my family that the seller would have been better off not metioning anything about smoking at all but instead they went out of there way to tell a lie. I dont understand that but then again fibbing and stealing are my largest 2 of lifes petpeives.

Yup, I should have known when the guy wanted a moneygram. He got his cash and I got a crap radio. I would respect him more if he would answer emails.

Doctor,
I will open it up and trace the 2 meter side for defects this weekend. Thanks I should be able to trace it out after I get a magnifying glass. I should have one anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.