• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Radio from Ranger

I have been recently told that the gentleman that was designing radios at Ranger has retired and this accounts for the lack of innovation over there.
This might explain why we are not seeing anything really new from them.
Jeff
I'd be interested in seeing the current sales for Ranger, Stryker, Galaxy, et al. Based on the QSOs I have on 11 meters, not too many operators running Rangers or Strykers. The ones I do hear aren't that outstanding. I feel like Anytone with their Quad 5, Quad 6, and now, their ARES II have captured the market. If Ranger and Stryker want to remain as players in the export market, they'd better come up with something to match the Anytones, which blow them away in on-the-air performance, and, most importantly, pricing.

A lot of my customers would have an easier time running this radio over a quad 6 style interface.
I guess for one who wants to buy a radio online for the lowest price the anytones are the way to go.
If you have a good local shop that will take care of you after the sale the ranger would be a great choice for someone like me that does not care for rotary encoders and likes the great big galaxy meter. Anyways feel free to continue with the Ranger trash a thon while I work the world with my 2517 95t and 69vhp.

Reactions: SkunaVally1
I went to Walcott's site and it is being marketed for the 10 meter world, but I didn't see if it could easily modded for 11 meter.
Just about everything Ranger builds is aimed at the 11 meter market with the exception of there 6 meter rig.
The Ten meter part of it is to get around the FCC.
When they took Ranger to court, the head of FCC enforcement admitted under oath that as long as the radio did not do CB out of the box it was legal to sale.
That opened the door to all of these radios being openly sold and is why you can find them all over the internet now.
If you look at manufacturers like Kenwood and Yaesu and others, there radios have almost always been able to work out of band with a simple modification and Ranger pointed out that they were no different than the major manufacturer's.
With the exception of Software controlled radios you can figure out how to make almost anything to work were you want to if you are sharp enough, and in today's world even SD radios often get the software hacked just months after the release of the radio.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.