• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new radio

kurtis1971

Sep 17, 2010
a friend of mine gave me a radio. cobra 150 10 meter i would like to listen to people while i study for my license. what channel should i put it on?

Channel 19. If you are talking about 10 meter, you will need a general class license to use it. AM is used from 29.00-29.200, FM from 29.500-29.700. Both are in the general part of the band, and not as active as 28.300-29.500, which is USB.
Rich

first of all,... good luck with your studies.

the "bad" part. that radio is an "amateur" rig in name only, yes it will tune to 10 meters and TX/RX in AM or FM SIMPLEX modes only. most of the 10 meter activity is USB, sooooo...:headbang

i don't think it will even perform repeater off set operations and it doesn't have CTSS encode/decode.

as stated earlier, AM and FM 10 meter operations require at least a general class license. and even then the activity can be few and far apart.

i would consider selling it and using the $$$ for a real amateur rig. a used ic 706 mk 2 (for instance, there are many others too) is a good starter rig and they are really pretty cheap too.

first of all,... good luck with your studies.

the "bad" part. that radio is an "amateur" rig in name only, yes it will tune to 10 meters and TX/RX in AM or FM SIMPLEX modes only. most of the 10 meter activity is USB, sooooo...:headbang

i don't think it will even perform repeater off set operations and it doesn't have CTSS encode/decode.

as stated earlier, AM and FM 10 meter operations require at least a general class license. and even then the activity can be few and far apart.

i would consider selling it and using the $$$ for a real amateur rig. a used ic 706 mk 2 (for instance, there are many others too) is a good starter rig and they are really pretty cheap too.

Don't feel lonely, I PAID Dearly for this bit of advise.I now have a cb with too much power and a "ham radio with frequencies no one uses" as advised, sell it and buy a real rig

Don't feel lonely, I PAID Dearly for this bit of advise.I now have a cb with too much power and a "ham radio with frequencies no one uses" as advised, sell it and buy a real rig

every evening, about 2 hours before sun set there is a group on 28.305 AM!!!

do you speak spanish? :pop:

Very few folks run AM or FM on 10 meters.....For the Tech portion of the band it is all either SSB or CW......

I am in no way saying AM or FM is not used at all,but I personally have never heard anyone running either AM or FM

But good luck on the testing !!

Very few folks run AM or FM on 10 meters.....For the Tech portion of the band it is all either SSB or CW......

I am in no way saying AM or FM is not used at all,but I personally have never heard anyone running either AM or FM

But good luck on the testing !!

What about the repeaters up on 29.600+ ? :D When 10 is "open" there's a bunch of folks up there.

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.