• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New tech looking for handheld

KF7LXF

Sep 21, 2010
I just got my technician's license and I'm looking for a good starter handheld. My budget is < $250 for everything. Several of the local hams are suggesting a dual-band covering 2m and 70cm, as we don't have many repeater options here.

I'm looking for suggestions. If you can post the unit you recommend and what features appeal to you, I would appreciate it.

go on ebay and check out the vhf/uhf ht's from manufactures like puxing, wouxun, fiedaixan, quanshen, ect. great stuff for cheap. or, there are always deals on the ZED for used ht's.

go on ebay and check out the vhf/uhf ht's from manufactures like puxing, wouxun, fiedaixan, quanshen, ect. great stuff for cheap. or, there are always deals on the ZED for used ht's.

I can say that the Puxing radio's are really good little radios, especially considering the price.. I paid about $70 for my PX-777+ and I am amazed at the quality, clarity, and range. Of course mileage varies and my experiences may not exactly be the norm, but I can talk on repeaters a good 20 miles away on 70cm. A few of the locals couldn't believe that I was talking on a handheld radio from that distance and was still full quieting.. But these are VERY wide coverage repeaters with antenna's ranging in the 400ft range.. I wouldn't believe it myself if I wasn't the one doing it, but time and time again this little radio just blows my mind at how well it works and the price I paid for it..

I'd definitely say those are good lines to look at.. However Puxing does not have a dual band model out there. But with the OP's budget they could get a few of these things. (y) I'm going to be getting the Wouxun kg-uvd1p for my next radio and I'm sure I'm going to be surprised by that radio too from the reviews I've been reading...

Will KC9SQR

Yaesu VX6r
http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZYS-VX-6R
$250 new

Probably can find them used for under $200.

It's small, brand-name, WATERPROOF (I highly advise this if you're going to be doing Skywarn / Races / Marine / Hiking), it has a wideband receiver for 504 khz to 999 mhz, and best of all...It can do 144 + 440 mhz. It can also do 222 mhz at 1.5w!

Not a bad little handheld all in all.

The wideband receiver alone makes it worth it.

check into Icom..
i think the newest is the Ic-70

Icom is easy to work
and they work extremely well..

My IC-T90a on uhf hits a repeater 45 miles out from the street.
With my base tribander vertical a uhf repeater 60 miles out

You likely can get a IC-T90a cheep on ebay..
Extremely easy to use and super audio..
When used with a high gain HT antenna..it is always mistaken as a base radio and not believed to be a simple HT

Many new Techs opt for a HT but then find that they want more power and get a mobile. With that being said...I would go with a Wouxun KG-UV1P. I have one and it's a sweet little radio. That way when you go with a mobile, you will have saved some money.

Is there a reason you are looking for an HT instead of a mobile?

The Chinese units suggested are not bad suggestions. The Yaesu VX-6r or Icom T70A are good choices also. There are several good mobiles that can double as a base unit if that's what you decide to do.

I'm a n00b! Educate me!

My initial thought was to try a handheld because I don't have an easy way to mount a portable unit. I have a 1991 Saturn on its last legs and a 2002 Econovan, and I am a DBA, not a mechanic. The thought of having to wire in a mobile unit was daunting to me. As I'm not ready to go with a high-end dedicated unit for a desk, etc., the handheld was pretty much it. Plus I live in Montana, and I'd like to take it with me camping, etc.

That being said, PLEASE feel free to educate me as to the benefits of each. As I said, I'm brand new to ham radio and though I aced the Technician exam, I have no practical experience. Thus my request for expert/Elmer assistance!

My initial thought was to try a handheld because I don't have an easy way to mount a portable unit. I have a 1991 Saturn on its last legs and a 2002 Econovan, and I am a DBA, not a mechanic. The thought of having to wire in a mobile unit was daunting to me. As I'm not ready to go with a high-end dedicated unit for a desk, etc., the handheld was pretty much it. Plus I live in Montana, and I'd like to take it with me camping, etc.

That being said, PLEASE feel free to educate me as to the benefits of each. As I said, I'm brand new to ham radio and though I aced the Technician exam, I have no practical experience. Thus my request for expert/Elmer assistance!

I just solder on a 12v Accessory plug, and call it a day.

Place a magnet mount antenna on your trunk,run the coax through the weatherstripping up to the front, and you're done.

45w > 5w.

:D

With a 5/8 wave magnet mount antenna on my CRX, I get about 35 miles of range, with a little flutter.

I am also new to ham radio, (May 2010). I've been very pleased with my Wouxun kg-uvd1p, alot of bang for the buck. I checked out reviews prior to purchase, the Wouxun kg-uvd1p is highly rated, dual band w/lithium battery and charger for $125.00. I use it as a HT and mobile w/a dual band mag mount.

If compactness is a factor in choosing a hh, I am very keen to hear more about the mooted TX-3R, which is a copy of the yaesu radio with a similar name, but with a micro price. Anyone seen one yet?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.