• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New To Cb's Help me out

A while ago i bough a Cobra 19 ultra for my baja bug while im out wheelin with my buddies. I had a cheap magnet antenna. I could hear my friend talk just fine, but he could only hear me sometimes. He said all he would hear is a "beeeep" when i would talk. I looked his radio over, whcih is a Cobra 19 dx IV. I unplugged his mic and plugged it back in and it started working, but not for long. So why is it beeping? Is that on my side?
Both of us had a tunable antenna, but neither of us are tuned, or at least not that we know of. He has a firestick II.

Do you mean it makes a "BEEEEEEEEEEEEP" on his radio when you key up on yours and try to talk? Sounds like fundamental overload...in short, your vehicles are too close together, and it's overloading the receiver.

Do you mean it makes a "BEEEEEEEEEEEEP" on his radio when you key up on yours and try to talk? Sounds like fundamental overload...in short, your vehicles are too close together, and it's overloading the receiver.

I just logged on to ask that question again. Thanks.
I got my coax cable today and finally hooked up my antenna and was able to try and talk with my neighbor. Once again, it was nothing but "BEEEEEEEEEEEP" on his radio when i keyed mine. So you think its because we are too close? Because I could hear him on my radio when he keyed his. We also swapped antennas temporarily to see if that would change any thing, but it didnt.

I just logged on to ask that question again. Thanks.
I got my coax cable today and finally hooked up my antenna and was able to try and talk with my neighbor. Once again, it was nothing but "BEEEEEEEEEEEP" on his radio when i keyed mine. So you think its because we are too close? Because I could hear him on my radio when he keyed his. We also swapped antennas temporarily to see if that would change any thing, but it didnt.

The Cobra 19 DX IV that your friend has isn't exactly the pinnacle of perfect circuitry. While YOUR radio automatically kicks the RF gain way down when it senses overload, his does not.

Actually, try doing that the manual way...turn his RF gain down and see if it still does that...I think it's the inner ring on on the squelch I do believe.

I really do not advise an RCI-2970DX...for ~$450, you can get a slightly used HF ham rig that'll do 1.8 thru 30 mhz, SSB/AM/CW.

If I wanted a nice little CB setup, I would run:
Cobra 29 LTD Classic
OR
Cobra 148 GTL

Aligned on center, modulation peaked out at ~95%, and with the variable deadkey mod. Maybe the schottkey diode receive mod too to cut out the noise.

MAYBE I'd find a 100w amp on craigslist for $50. Maybe not. Wattage isn't a dealbreaker for me, I don't really talk skip anyways.

The 148 GTL and the 29 LTD are probably the two most bulletproof CBs ever made. My early 80s 29 LTD still works like a charm.

My friend is gone right now, but i'll check his RF later and try it again. I can still hear a BEEEEP coming from my speaker when i key my mic. Is that a sign of any thing?

Also, should my antenna be grounded?

Here is some useful and essential info:SWR

In the picture below, notice that there is a insulator between the antenna and the mount. The center wire of the coax should go to the antenna, and the ground/shield wire should go to the ground. That simple. After it is mounted, you MUST check the SWR - or RADIO FAILURE IS IMMINENT!

Attachments

• standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
i wouldnt and will not recommend a 2970 for that vehicle.bacause the vibration
jumping and shaking would shake something loose for sure its a heavy radio.
id recommend a cobra 29 black chrome with external amp.
galaxy makes a radio called the 29 might be ok
last choice would be the general lee many truckers use this
cb with great results and plenty of bouncing and shaking..lol
these are usually pretty durable radios.far as the beeeep sounds to me
like a squeal how close are you guys.if side by side drive away from
each other say 1 mile or so.if still there try another mic.could be
a bad wire in mic or on connector.last try aniother cb .this is the order
id try its cheapest first then moves to more expensive.also
get a cheap swr meter and check swr on ch.1 and ch .40

awww snap!! i had the entire thing insulated.
So i fixed that now.

so if its supposed to be grounded, how did my magnetic base antenna get grounded?

a mag mount gets its ground through capacitive grounding with the sheet metal below it .

a jumper with female plugs on each end ? where did you find that at puffnstuff ?

have you tried a different mic on the radio TSG ? try one that has a variable output on it (power mic) since your radio doesn't have a mic gain . try reducing the mics output all the way down and slowly turn it up while keyed till it beeps and then turn it back down till it stops . them get a radio check to see if your modulation is clear , if its distorted turn the mics down till you are clear . also , where is the radio mounted in the vehicle ? sometimes just having a mic too close to a radio can cause a humm/squeal/feedback . is the beep sound you're hearing just a quick beep tone or is it a long beep the whole time the mic is keyed ?

have you tried a different mic on the radio TSG ? try one that has a variable output on it (power mic) since your radio doesn't have a mic gain . try reducing the mics output all the way down and slowly turn it up while keyed till it beeps and then turn it back down till it stops . them get a radio check to see if your modulation is clear , if its distorted turn the mics down till you are clear . also , where is the radio mounted in the vehicle ? sometimes just having a mic too close to a radio can cause a humm/squeal/feedback . is the beep sound you're hearing just a quick beep tone or is it a long beep the whole time the mic is keyed ?

I havent used a power mic, but i did try a diff mic and had the same problem.

The beep is continuous. For as long as its keyed.

Here's my radio placement
0322111906b.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.