• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to Ham, this forum seemed as good as any. ;)

Yes two holes, bring the coax up the inside ,make the coil then take it back inside.
No don't strip it down to the copper just take the outer plastic and shield off.If you take it down to the copper and remove the dielectric the velocity factor will change and you will have to make the wire longer .
The sleeves are coaxial phasing sections for uhf. the basic antenna is a 2 metre 1/2 wave dipole 1/4 wave at the top with the bottom 1/4 wave made of the coax down to the (coil) choke.Now as is, it will work at 70 cm because it is 3 times the frequency i.e 3/4 wave ,but the pattern is rubbish with most of your signal going up not out were you want it. The phasing sleeves makes it two 1/2 waves in phase which gives you more signal out and less up .
Thats an extra 3db gain at 70 cm or twice your effective radiated power. The high gain version takes the idea further with four half waves at 70 and two at 2 meters.
For your first attempt make the basic antenna with the sleeve .I made mine out of aluminium kitchen foil and taped it up.
Have a read of vk2zoi construction notes, it is actually a rather elegant solution to the phasing problem.

Hi guys, Been out of town for a little while

@vkrules
I never noticed there was a link to the antenna instructions you posted! I had checked the post from a cellphone and never saw the link. I had thought the designs were something you were drawing up and posting. So sorry for all the questions, I could have clicked the link and answered them all.

I haven't been able to order my HT yet. Hopefully soon. I have no idea how many repeaters are near by, but at the very least I can listen while I learn more.

Thanks again guys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.