• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New TR696F looking for a tech.

DanLaw

Mar 21, 2008
I just purchased a new Texas Ranger 696F, and I'm looking for a good, reliable tech with some references to do a tune up and add some mods to it. I live in Williams Lake, BC., Canada, and as far as i can tell. we have no one any where close that will do any cb repairs, let alone mods. Looking to add extra channels, open the clarifier, and peak and tune it up for best reception and transmit, and still keep it clean. Right now, right out of the box, the clarifier has to be turned to the 10 0'clock position to put the freq. counter where it should be. If anyone knows of a good tech, I'd really like to get in touch with them and see if they will do any work from Canada. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Dan.

Exellent choice there Bobby. Here are afew more.
1) Bob's cb in PA
2) Richard at 8541 electronics
3) 292 radio shop out west
4) Sparkys cb in the midwest
5) DTB radio

Yeah, Sparky is working on one that I bought from him - too. Had him unlock the clarifier and peak and tune it. If it doesn't modulate like I want it to, I'll buy a mod kit from him and do it myself. Since the freq job on this radio is an easy one, I'll buy a couple of SPST switches and do that part myself. I need to put in some trigger time with a soldering iron, so this will be good peactice with that.

I just purchased a new Texas Ranger 696F, and I'm looking for a good, reliable tech with some references to do a tune up and add some mods to it. I live in Williams Lake, BC., Canada, and as far as i can tell. we have no one any where close that will do any cb repairs, let alone mods. Looking to add extra channels, open the clarifier, and peak and tune it up for best reception and transmit, and still keep it clean. Right now, right out of the box, the clarifier has to be turned to the 10 0'clock position to put the freq. counter where it should be. If anyone knows of a good tech, I'd really like to get in touch with them and see if they will do any work from Canada. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Dan.

The cost for you to ship that radio both ways is gonna cost a pretty penny and you still need to get the alignment done.

Buy this: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...&customid=&ext=380093670858&item=380093670858

Then I think if you make sure the clarifier is centered at 12 oclock you can adjust VR7 ???????????? while keying on AM into a dummy load or even your antenna because the freq counter should pick up the rf,,,, you should be able to adjust it close enough for goverment work. example Channel 19 = 27.185 so the rf freq counter should show the same

Maybe someone can chime in?

Plus you can use the frequency counter to get frequencies at your local fast food fine dining places LOL (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, guys. I've contacted Doug at Custom CB Radios and in the process of getting the radio down to him. Sure wish we had some reliable techs up here. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I've contacted Doug at Custom CB Radios and in the process of getting the radio down to him. Sure wish we had some reliable techs up here. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Hey DanLaw were you able to get the mods and alignment done? Did you ship the radio to the U.S. or did you find somebody in B.C. or Canada?
The only reason I ask is because I am also in British Columbia and there is nobody here that works on radios(especially CB).

Reactions: secret squirrel
RO, Doug is a stand up guy. If you do not get a reply, just give Doug at Custom CB Radios a call. In 2009 when this thread started Doug was doing some side work for Sparky's CB Shack. Booty mentioned it the refurb version FD1 that Sparky's was selling back then. I purchased one off of Sparky at the time. Of course Sparky's is no longer with us. I am very pleased with the radio, been using it as a base radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.