• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

newb SX-190

RIC01

Feb 25, 2014
Hi,

waiting for a SX-190 to arrive

new to DX, any suggestions for the new receiver very welcome! :)

thanks,

Rico

SX-190 now arrived **Jump_im**

Daylight here so evening should boost reception. Have customised a 6' aerial but am total newb so any advice gratefully received!

Best band seems to be number 15 / AM at the moment.

:)

Hi, thanks. Initially some 60' of low voltage, corner store copper wire; but I may upgrade to sheathed, balanced antenna wire as time progresses.

R

outdoor antenna

well here we go

this wasn't the best audio - got something from France (or China) which sounded like 'next door' :-o

SW_panoramacopy_zpse2858b6c.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/megalith6/sw_340khz_24-5mhz_am-band

:D

Those were and still are the best looking radio that Radio Shack ever made. I had one long ago and why I sold or traded it I will never know.

Those were and still are the best looking radio that Radio Shack ever made. I had one long ago and why I sold or traded it I will never know.

That was back in the day when it was known as Allied/Radio Shack. The AX-190 and SX-190 were made by Allied IIRC and sold under a couple of different names with Radio Shack being just one of them. They were notreally a Tandy/RS manufactured item.

Hi,

Got a slight problem - the '5 Unit' signal strength indicator has stopped working. Am still picking up good signals however (Taiwan, Cuba). Can I fix the meter though?

5Unit_zps37fe9bbb.jpg

5Unit2_zps7c758ec2.jpg

Thanks,

R

Last edited:
If might just need a good cleaning. Start with some contact cleaner around the needle to see if there's just some junk or dust that has caused it to stick.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio