• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbee/Help on base antenna for apt.

Roachman

Oct 13, 2012
First time post! Probably not the last. It's been 15 years since I had a CB so bear with me as I stumble through knowing just enough to not know anything...
I have a Realistic TRC-473 and a plain/no-brand, mag-mount car antenna. I have it set up in my 2nd-story apartment as my first base station. Without a "ground plane" other than slapping the antenna to the older metal window frame, you can imagine my range is quite limited...seems to be about 1-2 miles.
I have very limited funds at the moment (~$70), but would like to "upgrade" in some fashion to increase my "receiving range", not that concerned with "transmitting range". I originally thought put all $70 into a bigger-name used radio, hopefully with SSB (ie. 148-GTL), with same old antenna would do the trick (increase receive-range).
Now I'm thinking put it all into a newer antenna system as the TRC-473 is a solid, older, Uniden-based CB. I've gotten some advice but would love to hear what you guys think...
Due to some RF-Television interference I am causing (keying) to apartment next to me, I will need to run a interior 75-ft cable to relocate antenna to the back of my apartment. I can't mount an antenna anywhere outside other than on the small stone ledge just below my back window. In time, I hope to upgrade all parts of my system, but where to start for only $70 and still get some results? Should I...
1) Run a 75-ft coax (~$60, ugh) back to a window-mounted, No-Ground, fiberglass, base-antenna like the Saturn B1000 (~$50) (UNLESS there is a cheaper brand/model that will due just as well:), and still use the TRC-473?
or...
2) Run the 75-ft coax ($55) to a dipole antenna (half-price of the B1000:) either inside back room or strung outside on building between my two back rooms, such as the Falcon 2400W/11 meter dipole, and still use the TRC-473?
or...
3) Run 75-ft of relatively thick-gauge, speaker wire (wouldn't cost me a dime (y) as I already have it) from my plain, mag-mount car antenna in back room window to a "better" (more features) cb radio unit (maybe even with SSB) such as an older (70's-80's) Cobra, Uniden, Midland, or even another Realistic (could now spend all $70 on it)?
or...
4) Lastly, I was all set on keeping the TRC-473 and spending all my money on the antenna upgrades until I just saw a YouTube video (Stunning noise blanker performance from old Hygain V 2795 CB radio - YouTube) showing what a "Noise Blocker" function can do. WOW!!! Due to limited range I always have to keep the Squelch open and would give ALMOST ANYTHING to get rid of that incessant static in the background!!!! TRC has an ANL but that does little. So now I'm back to uncertain as to what to do.

5) Ideally, (only $70), I wonder if I could use the speaker-wire as a 75-ft run ($0), hooked up to a dipole ($30), to an older, used-radio such as, but not limited to, a Cobra 25 or 29 LTD (NOT from China/front-mount mic) that unfortunately wouldn't have SSB, but would have an NB ($40)?

Please share your opinions (maybe I can't have my cake and eat it too for $70 and will have to do it piece by better-quality piece?).

And I PROMISE, PROMISE, I will never write a Post as God-Awfully long as the one I just did...
Thanks everyone,
Roachman

See Above

Sorry, I got so carried away hearing myself talk, I forgot to ask if I could make a simple, homemade dipole antenna out of the aforementioned speaker wire? If I could, that would save a few bucks.
Thanks again everyone for your patience!

Yet again

I know, nobody is going to reply for fear I will write a 10-page response :)...I promise I won't!
P.S. I do have an SWR meter and it does little to increase range despite all 3 channels being below 1.5.

No; you cannot use speaker wire as coax. Radios are designed to use 50 ohm coax to feed the antenna.
You can make a dipole with it - though.

You are going to run your station from an apartment? You can do that; but your neighbors may take issue with you over that. You might end up interfering with them and then you will be in a tough spot; some people have been evicted because of it.

Might consider a mobile setup. No one can really complain with that, as all you have to do is get far enough away from you apartments and everything should be fine.

If you are going to run a station from your apartment and make a dipole, you are going to need about 25-35 feet of coax. Then read this article; it should help you out a bunch:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/31857-dipole-your-cb-base-station.html

N4UJW ANTENNA DESIGN LAB - Ham Radio Antennas - Design 0r Build Your own Ham Radio Antenna

A lot of reading, and then some more reading.

First do you want to talk local or DX.

If local make a 1/4 wl ground plane, home brew it for next to nothing, can be made out of speaker wire and some soldering.

If it is DX then look at HOMERBB moxon antenna thread, it will fit inside a room and when you are not using it you can take it down and store it.

Friend of mine, apartment dweller, second floor, has a fan dipole 10/15/20 meters taped to his living room wall.

Wires are run everywhere but has good VSWR. He called me earlier in the week and said he made it into Asiatic Russia with a 5/9 report on 15 meters. Using the dipole taped to his wall and 100 watts.

An RF choke is a must at the feed point or better yet a 1:1 current balun.

Apartments have challenges for the radio hobby, but they can be over come.

Roll your own antennas and invest in a SSB radio, you will want one that is capable of those so called extra channels.

Last edited:
Thanks Robb and Wavrider for the responses! They are helping me narrow things down. No speaker wire for coax (impedance, duh, I should have known that), use a 75-ft 50ohm antenna coax for run, build own antenna, and bite the bullet now for the long run and buy a SSB radio, even if that's all I can afford at present. Then add rest later. Or vice-versa.
Thanks again!!!

P.S. Does an "NB" function have anything to do with reducing the background static during an "open" Squelch setting, or does it just reduce 'engine noise' when used on a car?

You are in town, a lot of noise there. The NB function is noise blanker, sometimes they help with reducing noise other times it just reduces all signal strength received.

try a simple dipole for starters, 468/freq is the formula for a half wave dipole.

234/freq is the formula for a 1/4 wl vert. you will need four 1/4 wl ground radials for the vertical.

the dipole should be quiet and allow you to work some DX, but not to good for local talking.

Experiment, have fun and enjoy the hobby.

the antenna is 95% of your signal, a good SSB rig is a must for working long distance DX, Australia, Europe Africa etc etc.

Many members here with a knowledge of antennas and hobby experience.

Really take a good look at the moxon antenna it works great for a wire yagi.

You will be surprised what you can do with a good SSB radio and a simple dipole antenna,as said above a dipole wont be really good for local talking but will be good for working the long distance ( skip/DX stuff)...for local talking a virtical antenna would be the betetr choice I think....

Rig the antenna so you can take it down and store it in apartment or against outside wall when not in use,and good chokes/filters will be a must have to help keep teh neighbours content.....

Or if nothing else build you a good solid mobile set up,you will be amazed at what you can do out of a mobile when you get everything set up properly...a good ssb radio and good quality mobile antenna when the conditions are right and you can work the world ( not to mention a small kicker would be really helpful say 100 watts or so) I worked all of North America, Hawaii Alaska and England with 75 watts a Uniden Grant XL and a 4 foot Firestick 2 antenna.....

Keep your mind open and do your homework....really pays off in the long run

So glad I posted here! I have a lot to learn (wavelength/freq lengths, balun etc.) but am excited about it! Still can't imagine a radio giving me access to anything beyond S.W. Ohio, but apparently so. Very cool. Still can't imagine how, but very cool!

Just to let you know, I have now decided I am definitely going to purchase a used SSB "mobile" model (ex. 148-GTL or something else similar) as I am planning on moving it into my car at some point in future and replacing with something more "base-like" when I can afford it. Not to mention I'll have a great mobile for the vehicle then, too.

Besides eBay, cbradioclub.com, and here...any other suggestions for other respectable places to look?

Honestly,, thank you very much for all your advice/suggestions! Feel free to continue. If I had money to wiz away, I wouldn't be so concerned/hyper about making the right "choices". But I need to make smart, educated decisions that best suit my circumstances/preferences. I'm only going to get a few shots at it so I have to reduce any mistakes/regrets/hasty purchases as best I can.

That wouldn't happen w/o your help...Thanks again.

P.S. Are there any other used SSB makes/models (besides the 148) (please include any relevant info such as "don't buy ones made in China, or don't buy 90's models" etc.) that you might recommend? Keep in mind, I'm limited to around $70-80.

Thanks. I'll shut up now. :)

ROBB is pretty well informed on what radios to use and whatradios to stay away from as are other members of the forum.

Hopefully someone will reply with a radio that will suit your purpose and is in your budget.

Local Craigslist can have some fantastic buys also.

I made a Di-pole last week for 8 dollars and that was because I got kinda fancy.. I too live in an apartment so that's why I made the Di-pole. I'm not sure if you can really run any other type of antenna from inside an apartement haha

Thanks for the words of encouragement SuperDave. Any chance you could tell me how you built it and with what parts? The simple version, of course. Thanks.

A dipole antenna is about the easiest antenna there is to make. It's composed of two 'halves', both the same length, separated by an insulator. The feed line connects at that insulator, one conductor going to one side, the other going to the other side. The only 'hard' part is adjusting the length of the thing, meaning both sides have to stay the same length, the same amount added or subtracted from each side. (So far, the only 'technical' part is reading a yardstick.)
That center insulator can be as 'fancy' or as plain as you want. Cut a plastic/plexiglass rectangle, drill a hole in the center of it to place an SO-239 connector, then two holes, one on each side for the wire parts to tie on to it. One of those wires(one from each side/half) of the dipole goes to the center pin, the other goes to the mounting point of the connector. There are a number of ways of doing all that, look around for them, they're on the internet somewhere. [One 'neat' way is to use a 10 foot extension cord. Cut off the receptacle end but leave the ,male plug. Pull the two conductors apart right up to that male plug. Connect the feed line to the two pins on that male plug. It works.)
It doesn't make any difference what kind of wire is used, almost anything that conducts electricity will work. It should be strong enough to hold up it's own weight and maybe the feed line's, but that's about it. Doesn't matter if it's shielded wire or bare.
Each side of that dipole for 11 meters ought to be about 9 feet long. That's longer than is required but the 'extra' can be useful. Use that extra wire to tie onto end insulators or make a loop to tie to something. How do you adjust for the proper length? Use an SWR meter to check to see if it needs adjusting. If it's too long (most likely) then fold equal amounts of wire back onto it's self, twist it so that it doesn't un-fold. Equal amounts of 'fold back' on each side! Check SWR again. Did it go down? Does it need to go down some more, make that folded back thingy on each side of the dipole a bit more folded back. Check again, need more? Fold more. Close enough? Quit folding.
Went too far? So unfold a little bit. See how that's working?
It really is that simple...
- 'Doc

W5LZ, you couldn't have explained it any better for me!! Thanks, of course, to all, as I've been a 'work in progress', but that was a perfect, detailed, description. Last question on the dipole...does the length of the coax from the radio to the insulator matter? Does it need to be in certain increments, such as either 5ft or 25ft or 50ft etc to maintain some wavelength ratio like 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave? I've just heard those terms thrown around even though I'm not entirely certain how that works, and at this point not a big deal if I don't. But would like to do this right anyway.
Thanks again!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned