• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie ?

But...

It's not like the FCC would enforce anything anyhow. Look at all the known shenanigans they put up with already. I believe the number of hams abusing this privilege would be low and the ones that did abuse, are the type that will abuse the system regardless.

Last edited:
I don't understand all this ham nonsense. I just wanna talk on the radio.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What is the nonsense you speak of? If you understood it then it wouldn't be nonsense. We hams just want to talk on the radio as well and it is a piece of cake to get a license to do so and do it with FAR more opportunities than CB ever will have.With more opportunities comes more responsibility hence the license requirement. It is well worth it unless you just enjoy being an idiot on the air with noise toys, jamming etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

90% of amateur radio involves listening.
If you listen long enough, sooner or later you will decide who is hams and who is not.
Once you decide who you wish to talk to, you can establish a buddy group.
People that you choose to talk to on a daily basis.

90% of everything that you do with your Technician class license involves using FM - 2 meters and 70 cm.
The problem with those bands is that there is not a lot of people to choose from to talk to - since it is mostly local.

Even with a linked repeater system, the conversation tends to be monotonous - the same thing over and over again.

" Hi, I am a new ham, I am using my new Bofung UVxxxr radio, how do I sound. My call sign is KC3Blaah Blaah Blaah.. My name is Oscar - that is Orange, Sierra, Charlee, alpha, Romeo..."

pssschat -

Psschat - Hi Oscar, this is KF5Blaah Blaah Blaah, my name is Jim, Juliette, India, Mexico, and I am from _ _ _ _ _ Texas. I too am using my new Bofung UV279 handi-talkie, you sound great... This linked repeater system is awesome, it allows us know nothing hams to act like we are a general, using the HF radio."
psschat..

This conversation goes on and on all day and night long.

Oop's - got to go, my batteries are going dead...
This is KC3 Blaah pssss pppsssss pssss.
Seventy Three's - KF5 Blaah Blaah Blaah....

What is the nonsense you speak of? If you understood it then it wouldn't be nonsense. We hams just want to talk on the radio as well and it is a piece of cake to get a license to do so and do it with FAR more opportunities than CB ever will have.With more opportunities comes more responsibility hence the license requirement. It is well worth it unless you just enjoy being an idiot on the air with noise toys, jamming etc.

You can find the same harmful interference on the amateur radio as you found on the CB radio, you just have to look a little harder.
It is unfortunate that they do not include a psychological test along with a multiple guess test to get your license, there would be far less people getting their license.

90% of amateur radio involves listening.
If you listen long enough, sooner or later you will decide who is hams and who is not.
Once you decide who you wish to talk to, you can establish a buddy group.
People that you choose to talk to on a daily basis.

90% of everything that you do with your Technician class license involves using FM - 2 meters and 70 cm.
The problem with those bands is that there is not a lot of people to choose from to talk to - since it is mostly local.

Even with a linked repeater system, the conversation tends to be monotonous - the same thing over and over again.

" Hi, I am a new ham, I am using my new Bofung UVxxxr radio, how do I sound. My call sign is KC3Blaah Blaah Blaah.. My name is Oscar - that is Orange, Sierra, Charlee, alpha, Romeo..."

pssschat -

Psschat - Hi Oscar, this is KF5Blaah Blaah Blaah, my name is Jim, Juliette, India, Mexico, and I am from _ _ _ _ _ Texas. I too am using my new Bofung UV279 handi-talkie, you sound great... This linked repeater system is awesome, it allows us know nothing hams to act like we are a general, using the HF radio."
psschat..

This conversation goes on and on all day and night long.

Oop's - got to go, my batteries are going dead...
This is KC3 Blaah pssss pppsssss pssss.
Seventy Three's - KF5 Blaah Blaah Blaah....

Now that is funny. Next will be the Chinese HT Junk Net. Linked to all 57 states.

You can find the same harmful interference on the amateur radio as you found on the CB radio, you just have to look a little harder.
It is unfortunate that they do not include a psychological test along with a multiple guess test to get your license, there would be far less people getting their license.

true they are there but again equally true is the fact you do have to look a lot harder and deeper to find them. A lot of them came from 11m with their toys but some are indeed old timer extras. I don't deny it but I do know the issue on 11m is FAR worse over all than on the amateur bands. 14.313 and 14.275 has it's loonies and channel 6 has it's....along with ch 38 and 27.555 and.......

Now that is funny. Next will be the Chinese HT Junk Net. Linked to all 57 states.

We get it. You do not like the Chinese radios. you have made that pretty clear in several of your posts. The above post by Browningman was not "funny". Would it have been just as "funny" if he used the word "Kenwood" instead of Baofung?

While I am not real keen myself on buying a Chinese HT I can see the reason people do. As far as ruggedness goes they may be far less rugged but then again a Kenwood (or Yaesu or Icom) is Japanese junk compared to a Motorola or old Pace Landmaster series HT's when it comes to durability. As far as usefulness on the air the Chinese radios are no different. If one breaks you are out +/-$50. My Kenwood battery pack costs more than that. Some of these Chinese "junk" radios actually meet standards for commercial use and are actually approved by the FCC for such service. Yes China is not know for quality but to simply label everything as "Chinese junk radios" is a little over the top.

Last edited:
You can find the same harmful interference on the amateur radio ....

really? perhaps you need to "hit the books" a little.

the ONLY place in part 97 that even mentions HARMFUL interference is 97.307 (c) and that is in reference to SPURIOUS emissions.<gotproof>

HARMFULL, WILLFULL, and MALICIOUS interference are 3 seperate and different things

Congratulations on passing Tech! Mine took about two months, but I later found out that the fella that was supposed to send them in didn't. If your VEC is on the ball, it can be as short as two weeks. The FCC site is ok to look and see if you passed, but I found myself going to Ham Radio Outlet every day to check their "congratulations to these new hams" section at the bottom of their home page. Also allowed me to ogle lots of new equipment, too.

Brett

really? perhaps you need to "hit the books" a little.

the ONLY place in part 97 that even mentions HARMFUL interference is 97.307 (c) and that is in reference to SPURIOUS emissions.<gotproof>

HARMFULL, WILLFULL, and MALICIOUS interference are 3 seperate and different things

I think you are being a bit picky. WILLFUL and MALICIOUS interference can be HARMFUL to an ongoing conversation by disrupting it. Listen to 14.313 sometime and tell me that is not harmful interference. It's all a matter of semantics.You say po-TA-toe and I say po-tat-oe.

2 meter ssb can be alot of fun when the band's open "not very often"

But satellite work and moon bounce is also a lot of fun and will start you on a new addiction of antenna building xD.

Also "I'm starting to sound like a broken record" a program called Echolink will turn a smartphone or a pc into a voip linked uhf/vhf radio.

It's linked to repeaters all over the world and of course to several hams as well running the software .for times when local rag chews get stale .

It's free and doesn't take long for it to verify your call sign .

Enjoy the hobby

KE5OWA

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.