• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nice used mag mount?

Looks have NOTHING to do with it. 102" whips are very wambly and work best when you park.

Nice mag mount antennas that WORK well:

*Wilson 1000 or 5000 - Best 'bang for buck'
*Sirio 4000/5000 - Xlnt - the best - really!
*Wilson SilverLoad; not a mag mount tho - but can be converted. Too much work for a beginner to deal with.
*K-40 - Ahh; just so/so..
*Little Wil - last choice - but still much better than the one you are returning.
*K-30 - forget it!

No; but that aren't mag-mountable. They require a hole drilled into the body. A mag mount allows you the freedom to move the radio to a different vehicle and still get top performance when mounted on the top of the vehicle.

So, currently, my mag mounted antenna has 2 socks wrapped around the base so it doesn't scratch the car... I am coming to understand this should not be the case? How do I keep it from leaving scratches? lol

So, currently, my mag mounted antenna has 2 socks wrapped around the base so it doesn't scratch the car... I am coming to understand this should not be the case? How do I keep it from leaving scratches? lol

Put an extra coat of wax on the ROOF. Wipe off the base of the mag mount; as they will ALWAYS attract and find small metal flakes when removed. Just keep it clean - and wipe the dust off of the ROOF before you re-install it...

102 inch whips most certainly can be mag mounted on a vehicle ..... but you'll need a 3 or 4 mag mount for it . you-ll also need 5 or 6 inches or spring or shaft under it to get it to tune properly on the cb band . using the 5 inch shaft from a Wilson trucker antenna under the 102 may get you an acceptable vswr , if not and you need more length get the 10 inch trucker shaft and cut/tune the 102 so it tunes correctly .

Tram Triple Magnet Mount

Attachments

• Tram_Tri_MAg.jpg
    Tram_Tri_MAg.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 20
102 inch whips most certainly can be mag mounted on a vehicle ..... but you'll need a 3 or 4 mag mount for it . you-ll also need 5 or 6 inches or spring or shaft under it to get it to tune properly on the cb band . using the 5 inch shaft from a Wilson trucker antenna under the 102 may get you an acceptable vswr , if not and you need more length get the 10 inch trucker shaft and cut/tune the 102 so it tunes correctly .

Tram Triple Magnet Mount
Yeah; you can do it that way. Nice tip!
But spider is trying to afford less than that arrangement would cost. I think if he could afford the Wilson 1000 new from Sparky's - I think he would do that first. Sparky's Wilson 1000 sells for $69 plus ~$15 s/h. A steel whip is $25-30 plus shipping. And one would also need an adapter to mount the whip to the triple mag base another $5-10 & s/h? Then the mag base itself is $40 & s/h. But I wouldn't want to run an antenna that tall on my vehicle. I can't go thru the drive-in burger joint without being real careful as it is!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.